tinting boat windows

Guest 500000watts

Guest 500000watts

hey guys, I have never tinted before in my life but I just put a killer sound system in my wakeboard boat and was thinking of what I could do to trick it out a little more and make it something one and only.

so I was looking at lights at autozone and saw this window tint and got the idea, anyway I bought some of this Gila window tint and took it home, read all the derections and went to work, first time it didint turn out as good as I liked so I peeled it off and started over. second one was a little better, by the third I was happy with the work I did by myself but still have room to improve, anyway my question is this..

what kind of tint should I use?

what kind of tools do I need to do it right?

I cant take the window off my boat so is it ok to tint from the outside of the window?

and does anyone have any tips for me as a begginer, the only problem I really had was trimming the exess tint around edges and stuff.

thanks for any help I you can give, if you need any more info of my project let me know.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Texasrocker

... if the "glass" in your Boat is "Plexiglass", your SOL!! Just "quit" tryin to save-money, and get to a "Pro" Tint-Shop in your area!! You "tightwads" really p1ss-me-off!! ( if you can afford a boat, why this crap?)It takes YEARS of training to do this properly, and it usually "doesnt" cost that much either, (if you have real tempered glass), which I "doubt seriously" in the 1st place!! Otherwise, all I can "say", is "make sure" you use a "olfa-knife", with a real-carbide cutting blade, and cut the film of your choice, in "several" strips, and use a 1200 degree heatgun, to "shrink' the film strips!! Happy Motoring on the "waterways"!!! Best of luck!!! ol TR

Guest 500000watts

this is a wakeboard boat man not a 1,000 dollar pontoon, this s**t is glass and like I said I already tried the flat side windows and it stuck really good, I really dont think I will need years of practice to be able to do a tint job that I will be happy with.

so is there any problem with putting the film on the outside of the window?

and is there any special film for applications such as boats?

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

daayyyuumm TR,ease up on the nub's.I know how ya feel, but, these type of responses aren't going to help any of us in the grand scheme of things. don't b h8n playa.HOLLA!!

The film needs to go on the inside, not the outside. Most boats have a nice curve to the windshield take is slow and easy, have fun trying it out and be ready to buy more film.

I know I started out buying film from a hardware store called "Coast to Coast"

back in 1986. I thought it looked great on my lowrider 67 bug, and so did alot of my friends...ofcourse thinking about now I remember it looked like crap. My point is if you enjoy trying to apply the film yourself and it looks OK to you , then let it ride.

Guest zolar
... if the "glass" in your Boat is "Plexiglass", your SOL!! Just "quit" tryin to save-money, and get to a "Pro" Tint-Shop in your area!! You "tightwads" really p1ss-me-off!! ( if you can afford a boat, why this crap?)It takes YEARS of training to do this properly, and it usually "doesnt" cost that much either, (if you have real tempered glass), which I "doubt seriously" in the 1st place!! Otherwise, all I can "say", is "make sure" you use a "olfa-knife", with a real-carbide cutting blade, and cut the film of your choice, in "several" strips, and use a 1200 degree heatgun, to "shrink' the film strips!! Happy Motoring on the "waterways"!!! Best of luck!!! ol TR

.........dude :thumbdown

Guest 500000watts

why does the film have to be on the inside? and yeh my boat windshield has a pretty nice curve to it, I could post a pic of what I have done and what im trying to do.

ill go take some

Guest vclimber
why does the film have to be on the inside? and yeh my boat windshield has a pretty nice curve to it, I could post a pic of what I have done and what im trying to do.

ill go take some

Looks better, installs better, lasts longer, UV inhibitors are facing the right direction (not that it matters in a boat :thumbdown).

Archived