Light tint choices for my gray Jaguar

Guest Hot in Bako

Guest Hot in Bako

Hi folks. Really hot (110 degrees) here in beautiful Bakersfield California.

Advice please...

I'm looking to get a professional tint for my '03 dark gray (called Quartz) Jaguar S-Type, black leather interior. Mostly want tinting to keep the heat out and keep the leather nice. I've noticed that hardly anybody in town who owns a Jaguar tints theirs. Maybe it's the recent style to keep luxo cars non-tinted, who knows. Anyway, I'd like to keep the tint really light and without the mirrory look, anywhere from 35 to 50%.

So I've visited a couple of tint shops to see samples, get a feel for how they work, what their shops look like, etc.

I'm looking at 2 options:

1) TINT SHOP #1 has a Llumar product (ATR I think, don't know what %). I asked all the questions about how this shop installs on the rear deck with the 3rd brake light, etc. I was pleased that they mentioned removing the rear deck install, NOT just cut outs and that the whole job takes anywhere from 4-5 hours. They also showed a 3M product which I really liked (shown on a new Acura RL) but it was almost double the price. This particular shop's cleanliness and being in service since 1983 makes me feel better about it although I felt they didn't offer as many product options as...

2) TINT SHOP #2 recommended Solar Gard's NR True Gray 50. I saw a sample and really liked that it didn't have that metalized/mirrory look. Negative for me was my question about installing into the 3rd brake light. The owner said he doesn't pull the deck, but just uses a tool to get the tint into the brake light. Also the shop's garage doors (2 of them) were wide open during a couple of installs. I figure having the doors open like that introduces a lot of dust and debris into the work area...right?

Long story short...I like the work ethic and cleanliness of Tint Shop 1 but I like the look of the product from Tint Shop 2. I've called other shops in the area but I've been least impressed with them on the phone so I haven't bothered visiting more than these 2 shops. BTW, price-wise the 2 shops are about the same.

I would really hate to keep bugging these guys with my questions since they're so busy (did I mention it's hot here in Bakersfield?). Should I ask more questions, ask for references, take a chill pill?...

Thanks! - Hot in Bako

Guest darkdan

NR films reject less heat.

ATR rejects more heat.

If the 3M one they showed you is double the price, then chances are it's the 3M Color Stable. Which is an NR film. But apparently the guy with the Acura has more money then you......j/k. =)

NR = non-reflective

Most of us don't pull decks. Some of us cut out brake lights. Some of us use special squeeges to get behind it. Chances are they know what they're doing and why they're doing it that way. After I broke the LIVING CRAP out of a Lincoln Continentials rear deck.....I no longer remove them. Why should I spend extra time removing something, risk breaking it, when I don't have to? I give the customer the option of having it cut out or not.

FYI, I love Jaguars. I can't wait to own one.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

F jagwar-polished ford is all it is

(this statement was meant to bring a joyful , outloud, laugh to my brother darkdan.Not to offend any Jaguar owners or enthusiest,even though most people that drive those cars have their heads up their arses.) :rollin:lol

Guest darkdan

The X-type is a polished Ford (which I drive nothing but Fords anyways if you haven't noticed).

When I'm rolling in a XKR I'm sure you'll be begging for a ride.

Guest darkdan

If he doesn't want to pay more money for the 3M CS which is a good looking film in his opinion, then he most likely wouldn't want to pay for VKool, Huper, etc. Which is why I didn't originally mention them.

Guest Hot in Bako

Thanks darkdan for the clarification between the ATR and NR films. I am going with Tintshop 1's ATR film. It's more charcoal brown than I like, vs the NR which is more neutral gray, but the NR's lack of heat rejection is a negative. Plus I really liked the way I felt about Tintshop 1 overall (cleaner, more professional).

FWIW there's no comparison between the X-Type and S-Type. X-Type rides much rougher. Plus the X-Type is more stripped down and has a less refined fit-and-finish than the S-Type.

I appreciate (most) everyone's comments. It's good to know there's a forum specifically for wary consumers like me who can benefit from the advice of professionals. Thanks again!

Archived