Fingers drawing felt contamination

Guest naughtydog

To say all cars can be done without pulling panels is absurd. I tint MOST cars without pulling panels, but some need to be pulled and others are so easy to pull compared to tinting them in place that it makes sense to pull them.

I really resent people who insist it must be done one way or the other or you aren't a "real tinter"...give me a break.

Fair dinkum you are right TD on this one! :beer

There is no right or wrong way....just what works for each individual.

Like you say....some cars you can lift the rubber out or bend the top of the trim out or lever the trim back enough with bones, and for some it's far easier to be a puller and have the trim off in a matter of minutes.

Devil

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok...so do you all charge more for the cars that you pull panels on? I personally have not found any of the hundreds of cars that I have tinted that I could do without removing the door panels.

ok...so do you all charge more for the cars that you pull panels on? I personally have not found any of the hundreds of cars that I have tinted that I could do without removing the door panels.

:lol2:rollin

17 years and you've only tinted hundreds of cars? and you've never pulled seals? come on. you can't tell me a 3/4 or 1 ton ford or chevy hasn't come in and you didn't want to just snap the seals out in 3 seconds...

and you don't charge extra to do a better job. you will make it back in the future.

17 years in field, I have been doing nothing but tint for almost 8 years. Did friends cars and such before 1999.....

not thinking about the old POS ford trucks....I do pull some seals that take 3 seconds...but to pull panels....not really.

could have said something other than hundreds of cars, but I honestly don't have a clue...just tint what I get in. Normal is 3 to 5 cars a day now. Who cares as long as the money is coming in and bills are paid.

Very few things warrant extra charges, but get paid for time.

fair enough. I have been in so many cars doing so many things pulling panels is second nature. I already know how most come apart so I can walk to the car with the tools already. you should take a slow day or week and try pulling a few and taping seals just to see how they come out. I have changed my style many times since I started and finally came up with what works best for near perfect every time with little fuss.

when you see an idea, try it a few times in a row to see if it should be a part of your routine. first time's always a pain. 10th time you'll know either way

I hear you man. I do know how to take more parts off of cars than I care to. I taped bottom rear decks for a couple years and then finally realized that I could pull the things about as quick.

I ammended my "years in field" too.....

just said years in field so I put it in. I "cut my teeth" with a lot of crap before I started my business in 1999....I have done nothing but Tinting for 7.5 years now and that in a smaller rural area where people still see me and ask me what I am doing.... they can't believe that I find that much business....the joke is on them when they work for about 1/5th what I make doing tinting.....

Ya What Rich said.

I remember switching from wet shrink to dry shrinking. I thought this is BS it will never work. Now it is the only way.

I remember switching from dryer sheets to the Mdizzle soap Shizzle (easy switch).

Or the biggest switch I made was in 92 when I switched from butt seams behind defroster lines to heat shrinking my first window. I had only a verbal lesson over the phone from my father in-law (WHAT A MESS) but today it's second nature. :rollin

Archived