HELP Please! Tint Question

Guest twodaparty

Guest twodaparty

Hi my name is Mike and I just found this website and think it is a great idea. I went to a Tint World today in south Florida. I chose the top of the line "Gun Metal Black Chrome" primarily because it advertised keeping out 81% of the sun's rays compared to the other one I was considering, "Charcoal Ice" which says it keeps out 48% (something in 40 range, may not be 48%). The color (shade) tint I am getting is black. The problem that occurred was when they finished and I was asking some questions about the tint and warranty etc., the guy says yeah we put on the "Charcoal Ice" tint like you wanted and it's fine (or something to that effect). I immediately said, wait a minute I paid (about $x more) for the 81% Gun Metal tint, why did you say you gave me the other tint. I saw the "oh crap" expression on his face. I don't know if it was an honest mistake or if he was trying to give me the cheaper tint while having me pay for the most expensive one. I asked him how he (or I) could tell the difference between the two tints and he said he can't, he just goes by what box they take it from (the boxes are labled I guess).

I'm an honest person and like to assume the best in people, but I am worried when I go back there on Wednesday to get it redone (he peeled off the tint) they may just put on the same lower quality tint and know that I won't be able to tell the difference. They work in the back (closed doors from the front where customers can sit) so I won't be able to watch their work, not that I could tell anyhow. What would someone with experience with tint suggest as far as me being able to tell? Are they really going to look the same like he said since I'm getting 20 on the rear sides and rear window and 30 in the front? Is the only way to tell by just driving around for awhile and see if it feels like it's keeping out the sun better ("81%") than other tinted cars I have sat in that weren't the highest (most expensive tint)? I hope someone takes the time to read this and help me. Sorry in advance if it is in the wrong forum. Thanks for any replies!

if you are not sure or feel unsecure about this place.

dont take the car to them. we have alot of bullshiatters in this world, and most of us can tell when someoen is bullshiatting you.

I would take it somewhere else if I were you.

a member that goes under guest on here is in florida. I just dont know how far he's from ya.

heres the link

florida tinters

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

what was the question? sorry to here of your bad experience. hopefully you will be taken care of.I'm not familier with those types of films, but, maybe someone here will. good luck.oh, they should not look the same,not if they are different, no two types of films are alike,they should be able to tell them apart.what would the point be to have two different types if you couldn't see a noticable difference.

Guest twodaparty
if you are not sure or feel unsecure about this place.

dont take the car to them. we have alot of bullshiatters in this world, and most of us can tell when someoen is bullshiatting you.

I would take it somewhere else if I were you.

a member that goes under guest on here is in florida. I just dont know how far he's from ya.

heres the link

florida tinters

Yeah, the thing is though, I already paid and now I have no tint on my car at the moment due to the mistake (whether accidental or on purpose). Of course they don't do refunds. They are the type of place that doesn't keep records. They do however backup their work with a lifetime warranty for any problems, BUT only if you have your copy of the original paperwork. If you lose it, you are SOL.

The places that link listed aren't near me in Florida, but thanks for the recommendations anyway!

what was the question? sorry to here of your bad experience. hopefully you will be taken care of.I'm not familier with those types of films, but, maybe someone here will. good luck.oh, they should not look the same,not if they are different, no two types of films are alike,they should be able to tell them apart.what would the point be to have two different types if you couldn't see a noticable difference.

Well on the little glass samples on the wall the tints are displayed on they do look the same to me, but I'm no expert by any means. I was guessing (and this guys working there was telling me) the two types of film look the same, but one has a higher % that it keeps the sun blocked out from your car. I guess what they are composed of or whatever. I guess my only way to tell for sure it to watch them take it from the roll and see it they are cutting the Gun Metal Black Chrome tint which is what I paid for or to drive around in it here in hot Florida and "feel" if it is keeping out the sun better than my last vehicle did which wasn't the top level tint like this is supposed to be. :woowoo

Guest twodaparty
oh man.I don't see you winning this battle.sorry.

Unfortunately you are probably right. I should have just told him to forget it and just leave the tint and credit me the difference on my card then crossed my fingers and hope the tint they put on keeps my car cool enough. It is just so dang hot here in south Florida that I wanted the good stuff they were raving about. Oh well.

Guest execspec

Mike , if your having different shades, why dont you ask to see the difference using swatches on your door glass before the new install. You want a comparison of the two films.

If your a HONEST guy then be HONEST with them ...tell them what your really thinking & get the reassurance you need before they do the next job!!

OPTION 2;

Bring your 'mean machine' to us in the U.K & hell I'l do it free. :lol2

ash :woowoo

The fact that he removed the film and is willing to redo it. To me means he is going to redo it in the film you asked, and paid for. If he where just some bullshiat artist trying to scam you. He wouldnt redo the whole thing over just to get over on you! People make mistakes and it looks like this guy made one. Now he is trying to fix it, and do right by you. I am sure everyone on this board has installed the wrong film at least once or twice

For sure Pierce! Good advice. At the wholesale level the two films might not have amounted to much savings for the shop. I know I?ve made that mistake several times over the years. Back about 20 years ago when we did the rear window in strips I put a gray on the top, a bronze in the middle, and then a gray on the bottom. BMW customer loved it and felt like it was custom!!!! :evileye

The fact that he removed the film and is willing to redo it. To me means he is going to redo it in the film you asked, and paid for. If he where just some bullshiat artist trying to scam you. He wouldnt redo the whole thing over just to get over on you! People make mistakes and it looks like this guy made one. Now he is trying to fix it, and do right by you. I am sure everyone on this board has installed the wrong film at least once or twice

Guest twodaparty

Thanks for all the input guys. I went back on Wednesday and was taken care of. The tint looked totally different from what was put on the first time (like someone on here said it should if they are two different types of tint). He even gave me a $25 credit for the inconvienence which I didn't ask for which was nice.

Btw, if there are little specks on the back windshield that aren't dark compared to the rest of the tint surrounding it (nothing too major) is that something that will disappear in the first couple days that the tint settles in? I know he mentioned something about not messing with any of the windows for 72 hours to allow the glue (or something) to settle.

Archived