well I'll be D@MNED!!!

Guest edster922

Guest edster922

Four letters: WD40. WD40. WD40.

Best damn thing since sliced bread!

First, I tried the conventional suggestions: Windex, Lemon Joy, Pine-Sol, etc. + scraper ... Massive, tedious pain in the butt. Now I understand why tint companies charge so much to remove old tint. :woowoo

Finally I decided to just drench the 26 year old crappy generic DIY residential tint with WD40, and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Started with the scraper again, and lo and behold a lot more of it came off. :beach

Then I noticed one edge at another part of that window had a pretty big gap and the corner was curling up just a bit, so I...(drum roll please) used a utility knife to peel back a corner...and using my fingers, kept peeling...and kept peeling...and kept peeling...the whole dang thing came off in ONE piece, smoothly, with no further spraying and zero residue!!! Just rolled it back and kept on pulling, easy as pie. :bingo

Went through and repeated this with all 4 of my parents' tinted windows...going in, I had been afraid this was gonna be at least a 1-2 hour job, but got all the tint off in under 15 minutes, using just WD-40 and my fingernails! It was like peeling Saran Wrap, that smooth and easy. And didn't once scratch the glass, even! :lol2

So it looks like the WD-40 soaks through the film and somehow neutralizes the adhesive. I mean, I've had a harder time removing those stickers from supermarket fruit than WD40-saturated tint! :lol2

Here's a business plan for you enterprising folks: buy a bunch of cases of WD40, take the bottles and relabel them "SUPER DUPER TINT REMOVER SPRAY" and sell them for $40 each to tint shops! :woowoo

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie

what about getting all the wd40 residue off before retinting? wouldnt want to insure failure on the new film now would we?

what does the wd-40 stand for, water displacement version 40.

so needless to say a water based solution (aka J&J w/water) aint gonna wash it all off.

in a strictly removal situation it would be fine......but an R&R situation I would be leary

Guest willie
what about getting all the wd40 residue off before retinting? wouldnt want to insure failure on the new film now would we?

what does the wd-40 stand for, water displacement version 40.

so needless to say a water based solution (aka J&J w/water) aint gonna wash it all off.

in a strictly removal situation it would be fine......but an R&R situation I would be leary

and what about the odor?You gonna stink up someone house or building with wd40? :thumb I could scrape that old film in a minute with water/shampoo and a steel blade!No need for solvents!

:thumb -I was thinkin it, I just didnt say it.

Archived