well I'll be D@MNED!!!

Guest edster922

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tint rookie
well s**t.I guess I really don't know it all

:thumb

I like the way wd smells too. used to keep me outa trouble with the ex wife when id burn in the garage. id spray it over the door jamb. 1st thing she'd smell after swingin th door open trying to bust me. oh the power of wd and the backdraft effect. you aint smellin shiz after a big wiff of that stuff

I like the way gas smells but I don't want to hang out at the pump with a bag around me and the pump. Of course theres been some tough ass tint to remove in my day so I'm sure there would be times when I would just blame it on the mechanic :thumb

Guest edster922
good job. now how are you going to spend your brownie points?

LOL I was hoping one of you guys would offer to sell me a roll of say Vista SpectraSelect 70 at wholesale cost.

(kidding)

what about getting all the wd40 residue off before retinting? wouldnt want to insure failure on the new film now would we?

what does the wd-40 stand for, water displacement version 40.

so needless to say a water based solution (aka J&J w/water) aint gonna wash it all off.

in a strictly removal situation it would be fine......but an R&R situation I would be leary

well there was no wd40 residue that I could see or even smell. That's what surprised me, was how quickly the smell disappeared. Of course I did use Windex to clean the glass after the last of the old film was gone...that by itself probably would return the glass to its pristine ready-to-tint state I imagine. Just to be safe you could always rinse the glass with tons of water after the Windexing.

Since we're not putting any new film back on those windows, I won't have the chance to test this out though.

and what about the odor?You gonna stink up someone house or building with wd40? :thumb I could scrape that old film in a minute with water/shampoo and a steel blade!No need for solvents!

No odor whatsoever after I Windexed the tint-free glass, my man. As confirmed even by my mother, whose supersensitive nose rivals that of a truffle-hunting dog.

But hey if you really can do the same thing that fast and cleanly with soap/shampoo and a steel blade, more power to you. I just don't see the point of using one extra iota of elbow grease that I don't need to.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I agree, wd40 all oer the back seat,trim ect.,would not be good.and no matter how much masking off of everthing you do, it's still gonna be a mess

Guest edster922
I agree, wd40 all oer the back seat,trim ect.,would not be good.and no matter how much masking off of everthing you do, it's still gonna be a mess

well you guys do this for a living day in and day out so I won't challenge your expertise...

HOWEVER if it were me, I'd just lay a bunch of towels (preferably a thick canvas tarp, $14 at Home Depot) under the rear window and over the seats/trim to catch the drippings. Or better yet, spray into a sponge and then use that to get the old tint wet with the WD-40. I'm telling you, PEELING OFF old tint with nothing but your fingertips is just pure pleasure, lol! :bingo

Wish I knew somebody with that gross old purple tint in their car, I'd offer to remove it for free to test this out...

Archived