Advertise Here

Sub work

Nice website,

Very helpful forum with good info. I used to be a winder tinter for 6 yrs. Both Res. and Com. work, flat

glass only. Did loads of high end housing developements in suburbs of Philly Pa. along with big commercial

jobs in center city.

Looking to get back into tinting but more on my own as a sub contracter. I know you guys don't talk

pricing on here. I do realize every area is different and there is many variables that go into the flucuation

in pricing. Just wondering what the average exp. tinter charges for sub work that he does for other companies. As a sub are you paid sometimes hourly and also by the sq ft. Not really sure how the sub thing

works. Thanks for any advise anyone has.

-SF

I think it all depends on the sub and the company... I sub for one company and I get paid a daily rate. Another company is paying me per job... which I guess is more per sq/ft.

Both have their advantages....

RoAcH

I think it all depends on the sub and the company... I sub for one company and I get paid a daily rate. Another company is paying me per job... which I guess is more per sq/ft.

RoAcH

Gotcha, thanks Roach, I have to look into getting basic liability ins. too.

-SF

RoAcH

Gotcha, thanks Roach, I have to look into getting basic liability ins. too.

-SF

workers comp if you gonna have at least one employee :bingo

If you ever wanna sub-sub work, look me up. :bingo:dunno:heh

Roach I will keep you in mind. I remember reading somewhere that you do alot of res. jobs in the burbs

of philly. Let me know too if you have any work.

Tint - Jumpin in the water as a solo crew....trying to check around to see how actually busy I could stay.

I know if you go about it the right way the work comes in. Eventually I will get workers comp...?

I think of myself as a good tinter with about 8 yrs installing. I know I have alot to learn on the business

end of it. Learned alot too just from this site. -thumbs up!

-SF

Guest VOLTRON

well steel you need to establish yourself with some other tint companies in your area. Call them up and tell them what you do. I am a sub contractor and I charge by the sq ft but I also have a daily minimum. I am gauranteed my minimum charge and then if the sq ft exceeds the minimum then I get the sq ft price. And then there is things to consider for your sq ft price such as ladder work or lift or scaffolding and then the type of film that you are installing. If it is just solar then you will have a price for that and if you are hanging safty film then the charge will be more. There are other films to consider too, such as blackout or decorative films that have a ps adhesive that are more dificult to work with that you should charge more for.

Also, I dont know if you will only be installing in the city you live in or surronding cities but if you go out of town then there is per dium for expenses such as food, lodging , and gas that you should be compensated for it.

well steel you need to establish yourself with some other tint companies in your area. Call them up and tell them what you do. I am a sub contractor and I charge by the sq ft but I also have a daily minimum. I am gauranteed my minimum charge and then if the sq ft exceeds the minimum then I get the sq ft price. And then there is things to consider for your sq ft price such as ladder work or lift or scaffolding and then the type of film that you are installing. If it is just solar then you will have a price for that and if you are hanging safty film then the charge will be more. There are other films to consider too, such as blackout or decorative films that have a ps adhesive that are more dificult to work with that you should charge more for.

Also, I dont know if you will only be installing in the city you live in or surronding cities but if you go out of town then there is per dium for expenses such as food, lodging , and gas that you should be compensated for it.

Great info VO/TRON , appreciate your advice. I am familiar (somewhat) with the different films and how

each can be different . Affecting pricing. I need to make a decision on what film company to go with.

Can't afford 3M, thats what we installed with my last company. Lately Ive been working with LLumar

which seems pretty much the same if not better. I know their prices are better. 3M makes everything

under the sun, Llummar deals strickly with window films, which can be a good selling point.

- oh ya, how da heck do ya get those smilies over to the right on the text area...? tried clicking on them....?

- lol

-SF

Guest S and S

I do sub work but for glass companies in the area where they replaced window/windows that were already tinted and they need one or more redone due to replacement BUT I go out take my own measurements give them a price, then they add $--- to it to make there "sub" fee. Easy money to them and they pay me not the people.

I do sub work but for glass companies in the area where they replaced window/windows that were already tinted and they need one or more redone due to replacement BUT I go out take my own measurements give them a price, then they add $--- to it to make there "sub" fee. Easy money to them and they pay me not the people.

S and S,

Thats a good idea, getting in contact with local glass co. for replacement glass jobs. -thumbs up!

Thanks.

-SF

Archived