Newbie with questions

Guest wadger

Guest wadger

Hello everyone. I'd like to take a shot at tinting my car. My kiddos have recently came into a couple of portable dvd players and they sometimes have trouble seeing the screens from the sun's glare (they have a tough life, I know). Anyway, I got a couple of estimates at $xand $x - about what I figured. Then I thought, I'm pretty good with my hands and I've always wondered if I could manage a tint job, so maybe I ought to take a stab at it. I think I can probably do it over a weekend, save myself $xor so, and get the satisfaction of doing it myself. But, what I'm most concerned about is which tools to purchase. I don't need to have every conceivable contraption, but I also realize that the right tool can save tons of time and headaches.

I've browsed around the site some and found this to be quite a resource. I've tried to educate myself around the forum as much as I can before asking any stupid questions, but here's what I'm still wondering about:

1) I have about $x that I'd like to spend on material and tools. I have a heat gun, but what else is MUST have for a guy who's never done this? I'm especially worried about the back window with the defroster lines and 3rd brake light. I think I should get a bulldozer, but can't seem to find it at 44tools.com

2) What would be the best brand of film for me to work with?

3) My vehicle is a 2002 Mazda Protege. I've checked out the vehicle specific forum and that got me kind of spooked about the thick defroster lines. As I stated earlier, I'm pretty good with my hands and have patience, but I still have to ask - is it sane for me to tackle the rear window myself having never done this before?

4) Can anyone recommend a good training resource such as a dvd or manual? I've considered purchasing a starter kit w/ dvd like one at ebay.

Thanks for any help in advance and sorry to be so windy!

Sounds like you have answered most of you questions yourself :beach

As far as material everyone here has their own preference. I personally use LLumar.

Your question about attacking the rear window yourself. If you have the time and patience then go ahead and try it yourself.

If your thinking about tinting your car just to save a few bucks, then I would say take it to a shop and be done with it.

If you are thinking about tinting as a profession or job change then there is no better car than your car to start practicing on. :DD

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I've got a 100$ that says if you have never tinted a full car before, you will not succeed on doing a satifactory job.no matter how many videos or kits you check out. go to a pro.But, if you feel like wasting time and money, by all means, go for it!

id say try it man. thats how I learned and dont regret it but you should deffinetly bank on spending the same amount of money in the long run. the advantage is that in the end youll be able to tint your friends car and make it back :beach

Guest wadger

Thanks for the replies and honesty. The more I read, the more it sounds like tinting is more of an art than a science.

I still haven't made up my mind whether I'll try it yet. If I do give it a shot I'll try to post some pics of my attempt, if nothing else everyone can have a laugh!

Thanks again.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I assure you that no one here will laugh at you or your attempt. However ,We may laugh with you and reflect upon our own early attempts at window tinting.My first attempt at tinting a window was a complete sham,boy I wish I could have been a fly on the wall .Go for it Wacher!!!

Guest darkdan

You drive a car valued at $8,000.

Don't you think its worth a professional job?

Go to the store, buy a $20 roll of DIY tint.

Buy the $5 install kit (squeege and a carbon bladed knife that will scratch the crap out of the glass)

Get a $2 water bottle

$2 bottle of baby shampoo

Then try to tackle one window. You'll have enough film for two attempts. Try a roll down.

IF, it looks good to you, then invest in the rest of the tools/film you'll need.

But I'll bet my bottom dollar (I only have two) that you'll decide you just wasted $29 that could have gone to a professional job.

Guest solarspot
You drive a car valued at $8,000.

Don't you think its worth a professional job?

Go to the store, buy a $20 roll of DIY tint.

Buy the $5 install kit (squeege and a carbon bladed knife that will scratch the crap out of the glass)

Get a $2 water bottle

$2 bottle of baby shampoo

Then try to tackle one window. You'll have enough film for two attempts. Try a roll down.

IF, it looks good to you, then invest in the rest of the tools/film you'll need.

But I'll bet my bottom dollar (I only have two) that you'll decide you just wasted $29 that could have gone to a professional job.

:beer thats how I did my first window

but with out lots of practice and patience its not worth the investment unless u can live with the

satisfaction and looks of a diy job

it was worth it to me maybe it will b to you too :beer

but it will never look like a pro did it

we all started out where u are now but it takes a LOT of time and money to get pro results :lol

good luck with whatever u do

Archived