Before I tint

Guest Girard747

Guest Girard747

I've got a '97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC, and I plan on getting it tinted on monday. The only problem is that I live in Michigan, the state cops are jerks, and if I get 5% all the way around, I'll pretty much be wasting my money because I'll have to pull it off anyways. I do a lot of night driving, also, so I don't really think that's gonna be the best option for me, as much as I love the way it looks. I just have a few questions before I go getting it tinted, because the last thing I want to do is screw this up.

1. Am I going to have to make sure the seal/gaskets get felted? I'm assuming the place that's tinting it would know to do this, but can I check myself to make sure they don't screw it up?

2. If I don't get 5% all the way around, would 20% front and 5% rear/rear sides look akward? My goal is to not have to pull the tint off.

3. Does anyone have any experience with Michigan cops? I've had a few varying experiences in talks with people who have their windows tinted, and it seems to be worse for muscle cars than a luxury car. Will they force me to take the tint off no matter what, or can I get away with only a ticket and not have to retint it?

4. Is the 3M Color Stable tint good? I don't want my tint turning purple, ever, but is it more prone to bubbling or anything? I've got the antenna in the rear window (if it matters), and those stupid little black dots on both the rear and side rear windows.

I can't really think of anything else at the minute, but I'll probably come back if I have any other questions. I decided to post a picture of my car, just in case anyone cares. (you probably don't)

Guest Girard747

It's almost 5AM and I haven't gone to sleep yet... the picture didn't post and I screwed up #2, I meant to say that I didn't want to get pulled over and have to take the tint off. I can't find the edit button on this forum. I think I'm going to go to sleep and not worry about it.

Guest darkdan

Any reputable shop will give you a warranty. Although illegal work does invalidate the nationwide warranty.

Whether or not it looks weird will be up to person tastes.

Whether or not you'll get in trouble with the law is a matter of time and the officer. Some cops don't car, but every cop has a "pet peeve" and I'm sure eventually you'll find the one that loves 280 hp coupes with illegally dark tint.

Guest Girard747

You know, I saw all that "keep it legal" stuff coming, but I was too tired last night to mention anything about it. What I was trying to ask is if they're more strict about certain tints than others, for example, if I'd have to pull off 5% whereas I could get away with only a ticket with something higher. No one really mentioned the other questions, such as the felt or the strange black dots. I know that I've read about problems with both, and I'd like to avoid problems on an expensive tint job, and the last thing I want is to have to pay for re-tinting... 3M's color-stable tint is too expensive to be doing that.

Guest darkdan

Yes we did (except the felt)

1. no

2. personal taste

3. cop to cop basis, but it is illegal and it will happen eventually

4. yes it's good tint

And have you ever had a car tinted that dark before?

You are aware it will HIGHLY effect night vision at night when looking to the sides if you get the front d/p windows tinted that dark (either 20% or 5%).

Guest MidcoastMW

You also asked about the anteanna. If u go with a metalized film you could loose some AM reception, thats it.

And the dots........nuthing you can do there, u will notice the border. Only thing I recommend is let the tint cure for about 6-7 days, then take a paper towel wrapped around your finger and run it across the border. This will lay it down since all the moisture is fully dried out. This usually gives a more appealing/less noticable look.

Hope that helps..

Guest Girard747
3. cop to cop basis, but it is illegal and it will happen eventually

It will happen eventually? Getting a ticket or having to take it off? I'm not sure about how the laws work, and I don't understand if they force you to take it off, or if you'll just get a ticket and be fine. I've heard a lot of varying stories, and I'm not sure if it varies from place to place, cop to cop, or what. I'll probably end up doing 20% instead of 5% all around, but I'm just trying to do research beforehand.

yeah listen to mamma's boy,tell them about the wedding

er... okay :beer

You also asked about the anteanna. If u go with a metalized film you could loose some AM reception, thats it.

And the dots........nuthing you can do there, u will notice the border. Only thing I recommend is let the tint cure for about 6-7 days, then take a paper towel wrapped around your finger and run it across the border. This will lay it down since all the moisture is fully dried out. This usually gives a more appealing/less noticable look.

Hope that helps..

Alright, thanks. The shop did mention that I can't use a metallized film, but they didn't say what would be affected, they just said with the antenna in the back I couldn't get it. I'll probably do that paper towel trick, but I'd think that a microfiber towel would be better to use than a paper towel... I don't want to scratch it! :lol

Archived