Vista vs Sunscape

Guest Neidermeyer

Guest Neidermeyer

I have been observing this group for a while, and because of the many discussions I have read through, I have decided to hire a contractor to do my residential tinting as opposed to trying it myself with inferior gila film. After several demonstrations, I have narrowed it down to 2 films: Sunscape DG-35, or Vista V38(also V28, but worried it may be too dark). Assuming all costs are the same, which film would meet my needs the best? My needs in order are:

1. Lower Heating & Cooling Bills - by far the most important to me.

2. Appease the covenant board in my community. Anything too dark or too reflective wil not get approved. ex. Sunscape DG-35 was approved, but Madico 440 was rejected.

3. privacy - not a huge deal, but would be nice not to worry about leaving the blinds up.

Thats about it. Cost is always a factor, but if there are any other films in the same price range that you think might work better, I'd be glad to hear.

Thanks for the great discussion board, it really helped me out a lot

Neidermeyer

Guest vclimber
I have been observing this group for a while, and because of the many discussions I have read through, I have decided to hire a contractor to do my residential tinting as opposed to trying it myself with inferior gila film. After several demonstrations, I have narrowed it down to 2 films: Sunscape DG-35, or Vista V38(also V28, but worried it may be too dark). Assuming all costs are the same, which film would meet my needs the best? My needs in order are:

1. Lower Heating & Cooling Bills - by far the most important to me.

They are the same except on the shading coefficient V-38 is .5 and DG-35 is .51 the lower the SC the better...

2. Appease the covenant board in my community. Anything too dark or too reflective wil not get approved. ex. Sunscape DG-35 was approved, but Madico 440 was rejected.

DG-35 and V-38 will be very similar looking from the outside.

3. privacy - not a huge deal, but would be nice not to worry about leaving the blinds up.

Thats about it. Cost is always a factor, but if there are any other films in the same price range that you think might work better, I'd be glad to hear.

Thanks for the great discussion board, it really helped me out a lot

Neidermeyer

Privacy... :beer they will be similar during the day, no privacy at night. :duck

The other thing I'd check is where Madico puts their UV absorbers. Vista puts them in the polyester which is better than in the adheasive only. I'm not sure what Madico does, it would be worth asking. :spit

If they are all equal then go for the best dealer in this case. They will give you the best install and customer service. Just as valuable as the film's performance. :)

Guest Neidermeyer

Thanks for the tips. I have also added the Panorama Slate 30 to the list as well. All of the dealers seem reputable, have good references, etc. I only had one dealer, a Vista "Platinum" dealer that pissed me off. He quoted me a very reasonable price per sq ft over the phone for the 176 sq ft of window space I have. He then tells me when he arrives that he has to quote me for 220 sq ft (25% more) to account for his scrap. None of the other dealers did this, and it seemed shady to me.

Anyway, I am having a tough time making a decision here, so any added help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest vclimber
Thanks for the tips. I have also added the Panorama Slate 30 to the list as well. All of the dealers seem reputable, have good references, etc. I only had one dealer, a Vista "Platinum" dealer that pissed me off. He quoted me a very reasonable price per sq ft over the phone for the 176 sq ft of window space I have. He then tells me when he arrives that he has to quote me for 220 sq ft (25% more) to account for his scrap. None of the other dealers did this, and it seemed shady to me.

Anyway, I am having a tough time making a decision here, so any added help would be appreciated.

Thanks

He's probably not being shady. Most dealers account for scrap. it's a typical practice kind of like when you buy carpet or tile. I understand your frustration though, that is why it is good not to make a practice of giving or receiving quotes over the phone. :DD

Guest darkdan

That's why I don't give quotes over the phone.

A 1.5'x10' window is completely different price than a 3'x5' window.

Heck, I had a lady tell me she wanted me to tint her 8'x7' window with an arch on top. I got there and it was actually an arch window, and 3 windows below it. I'd consider that 4 windows and she considered it one.

Thus, I give no prices over the phone for flat glass work.

Guest Readyman

IMO, I would use the Slate 30, no knock on the other films, it's just that I like the way the Slate looks compared to the other 2.

Archived