IS250 door pilar damage

I tinted a lexus a while back. It was an R&R from our previous tinter who hadnt done a great job..

I redid it looks great customer went on his way.. I noticed the door pilar trim looked strange when it came in and mentioned it to the customer.. He said it had been that way when he purchased it.

He went to lexus to have it replaced under warr and they claim its caused by window tinting. There was no time when the heat gun goes anywhere near the trim on the outside of the car.. I know I didnt damage it because I showed the customer the trim before I started tinting the car, but I am not 100% that my previous tinter did not do this..

So I call lexus and speak with the service manager explain that the heat gun doesnt go anywhere near that part of the car and he tells me that he just got back from cali where he has seen this is a problem and that lexus wont cover it. He also accuses me of being "in cohoots" with the lexus owner. I accuse him of making me a scape goat.

I am really unsure as what to do, I doubt we damaged it but cannot proove it..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest 1PEECBARETTA

Yeah, the heatgun did the damage.You can't sit there strait faced and tell us that the heatgun goes nowhere near the pillar.You said the previous tinter did'nt do that great of a job,is a classic sign that he more than likely did the damage. If you are here to get sympathy or a come on back me up here, well, your not gonna get it from me.

when shrinking its done on the inside of the car on the lower section, the pillars are on the outside and are horizontal.. you cant shrink that part of the tint, it would crease... Thats why I dont see any reason a heat gun would go near that part of the car.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I know for a fact,that some tinters heat the outside of the glass in that area to push out horizontal fingers,or to work out contamination .

how about some pictures

edit. I mean pillars are vertical and we only shrink the horizontal... long day

I am posting from the shop. not smart I dont have much time to say much. I was really just looking to see if anyone had heard of this problem.. the lexus dude is claiming this is a huge problem out west and he was told this by lexus "engineers" so I asked him to fax me the report with the info he got and he told me there was no report.

rule of thumb- the more expensive the car, the more fragile they are.

word... thank god the customer is very happy with my redo and for a newbie tinter thats a plus... especially since he is VERY picky. Now its time to figure out the pillar issue so he's 100% satisfied..

Guest nautiboi73
I tinted a lexus a while back. It was an R&R from our previous tinter who hadnt done a great job..

I redid it looks great customer went on his way.. I noticed the door pilar trim looked strange when it came in and mentioned it to the customer.. He said it had been that way when he purchased it.

He went to lexus to have it replaced under warr and they claim its caused by window tinting. There was no time when the heat gun goes anywhere near the trim on the outside of the car.. I know I didnt damage it because I showed the customer the trim before I started tinting the car, but I am not 100% that my previous tinter did not do this..

So I call lexus and speak with the service manager explain that the heat gun doesnt go anywhere near that part of the car and he tells me that he just got back from cali where he has seen this is a problem and that lexus wont cover it. He also accuses me of being "in cohoots" with the lexus owner. I accuse him of making me a scape goat.

I am really unsure as what to do, I doubt we damaged it but cannot proove it..

I say at best just offer the help the car owner repair it. if you cant say for sure that you or your shop didn't do it. :lol6

Archived