Tinting a 2006 GLI

Guest BRM10984

Guest BRM10984

If any tinters here have any insight on some of these things, please let me know. Cut-and-paste from my posting on vwVortex:

The summer heat has me running to the tint shop. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do it, but I can't live like this much longer. I had 15%-ish tint on my previous Jetta, but I feel like I've "outgrown" the blackout tint, so to speak. I really, really like the look of the stock blue GLI tint, but it's just not cutting it. For that reason, I'm going to go with a 35% Llumar metallized film. It should be light enough to retain some of the blue tint but dark enough to reduce the cabin temperature somewhat.

I've read the metallized vs. ceramic debates. For the extra money, it's not worth it to me to step up to ceramic tint. And I don't listen to AM radio, so that won't be an issue.

So my questions are as follows:

[li]How did your tint installer work with/ around the seals on the *inside* of the windows nearest the b-pillar trim? That is, how did they get the tint to fit to the back edge of the front windows and the front edge of the rear windows? Is that rubber trim removable without causing permanent deformation?

[li]How did your tint installer handle the dot matrix markings around the perimeter of the rear windshield? Mine says he runs the tint right up to the matrix but doesn't tint over it. In my old Jetta, the tint was applied over the dot matrix and I really never had any issues to speak of.

[li]How did your tint installer handle the high-mount brakelamp in the rear window? I've looked at it a little bit but don't want to break anything pulling it out. I told my tint guy that I'd just remove what needs to be removed before I bring the car in to him. To that end, I also need to remove the headliner trim piece that spans the width of the headliner right at the top of the rear windshield. Any tips on removing that piece and the high-mount assembly are appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help. =)

Guest BRM10984

I asked the guy. He said he'd try to get the tint pushed as far to the edge of the window as he could around the seals on the sides of the windows nearest the b-pillar. He said he wasn't sure if they could be removed or not, though. That's more what I'm wondering- if someone here has tinted one and has removed them.

I think I've got enough info on the question regarding the high-mount brakelamp and the trim piece to go out and remove it myself.

Guest kccartint

I have done quite a few. The panel over the break light pops right off and then the light slides out. Makes for a easier install with the panel out of the way. The smaller rear window seal is always all over the place on these cars. They are soft and the film can be tucked if they dont overlap the dots too much. Otherwise a carefull trim makes for a cleaner install.

Guest BRM10984
what's a GLI?Is it like a golf or a rabbit ?

It is to the Jetta as the GTI is to the Golf- just another trim level.

Just for reference, this is the car in question: 2-45-16560-l-AudgixvlgYLvHfOahAB3w.jpg

Guest BRM10984
I did one not too long ago. I don't remember anything difficult about it.

Sounds good. I looked at it a bit more today after making the appointment for tomorrow and decided that the seals around the inside of the windows don't look as difficult as I was making them out to be. I'm going to go outside and pull the trim out around the top of the rear window and remove the high-mount brakelamp as soon as this freak hurricane moves out of here... heh.

Archived