Dealing with wife's tint "nice to have's"

Guest Shooter38

Guest Shooter38

Ok we're getting ready to have our south facing house windows tinted in Orlando to help with energy bills (my main goal being heat reduction).

Now after consulting with my lovely wife, the new priorities are:

1)Privacy - she doesn't want people to be able to see in the house particularly at night with lights on in the house. It doesn't have to be totally blocked out, just not clear sight.

2)Look - she doesn't want mirror or real dark tint.

3)Heat reduction and energy savings :lol6

4)I would like people to see a little of the entry chandalier (through uncovered window, no blinds) above the front door...unfortuneatly the same window she doesn't want to be seen walking by late at night :lol6

Is there any product that might do most of this?

Maybe a light frosted light grey or very light metalic in the bronze/copper family vs silver?

Thanks for your suggestions and understanding....I got my home theater and whole house audio so I guess some compromise is due :rollin

Guest darkdan

1.) Not really possible. Unless you change your exterior lighting. Tint provides practically no night time privacy unless you put lights facing the windows outside.

2.) This one is typically mutually exclusive with privacy

3.) No problem

4.) Once again, this conflicts with privacy

This is 3M's Nightvision 35%. It's not highly reflective. Due to the poor overcast lighting conditions on this day you really can't tell. However, you can still see in from a distance if you try. I suppose if the interior lighting was right during the day people could see your chandalier.

You'll have to compromise on your wants.

what happened to my last few posts?I had a valid response to this topic and now it's gone,.

No one has deleted any posts of yours dude, this thread got moved and is similar to another one, mabey your in the wrong thread :?

Guest vclimber
Ok we're getting ready to have our south facing house windows tinted in Orlando to help with energy bills (my main goal being heat reduction).

Now after consulting with my lovely wife, the new priorities are:

1)Privacy - she doesn't want people to be able to see in the house particularly at night with lights on in the house. It doesn't have to be totally blocked out, just not clear sight.

2)Look - she doesn't want mirror or real dark tint.

3)Heat reduction and energy savings :?

4)I would like people to see a little of the entry chandalier (through uncovered window, no blinds) above the front door...unfortuneatly the same window she doesn't want to be seen walking by late at night :?

Is there any product that might do most of this?

Maybe a light frosted light grey or very light metalic in the bronze/copper family vs silver?

Thanks for your suggestions and understanding....I got my home theater and whole house audio so I guess some compromise is due :heh

Clear glass reflects 8%. If you want a non-reflective film then look for something between 8-12%. There are ceramic films that can reject up to 61% of the total solar energy and reflect 12% interior and exterior. :?

Like Dan said, you will not have privacy at night. The only film that can help with that is matte film and the bronze ones look nasty -imo.

Guest VOLTRON

from what you are wanting it sounds like you would want something like what climber said, a ceramic film will give you the least amount of reflectivity with some good heat rejection.

Guest Shooter38

Thanks for all the responses.

Voltron-can you explain the 'least amount of reflectivity' in layman's terms? Is that the least 'mirrored'?

As such, it turns out my wife has relaxed her issues with mirrored tint (ie open to it). I'm guessing it will not do anything for us at night either?

It seems the only way to block the view is a frost or opaque tint.

Is that more expensive? Are there any that you can see out of (1 way)?

Are the computer cut designed opaque/frost tints really expensive? (Entry window 8" x 78")

And finally, do most tinters that do the opaque/frost/computer cut stuff do all kinds of tint?

Thanks again! :thumb

Archived