Help with 8 mil

Guest efranco

Guest efranco

I am installing SunTek 8 mil and I keep getting little white clouds and a cluster of little tiny bubbles. I try to squeege them out and they don't come out. Will they go away with the sun? Also how long do I have to wait to add dow 995 to the windows or can I install that after I have let the film sit for an hour?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

alright man, using that thick of a film if you dont squeege out the water hard enough upon installation, the excess water is going to create "champagne bubbles" when it starts to dry even quicker when the sun hits or exposed to teh sun. best bet would be to just have a good squeege attached to a handle, I use a blue max (metint sent me one) which works great!

you can install attachment systems I guess right away. :lol

Guest vclimber
I am installing SunTek 8 mil and I keep getting little white clouds and a cluster of little tiny bubbles. I try to squeege them out and they don't come out. Will they go away with the sun? Also how long do I have to wait to add dow 995 to the windows or can I install that after I have let the film sit for an hour?

They call that "Champagne Bubbles" they aren't gonna come out. Your 1st pass is critical, the right amount of mounting solution, good pressure, and an even squeegee pass with the proper tool has to happen or you will get the bubbles every time.

You need days sometimes weeks to dry. Drying time varies, thick security films need more time than regular solar film for the water to dry out before applying 995 or it will lock in the moisture and prevent a good bond to the glass.

Guest efranco

They call that "Champagne Bubbles" they aren't gonna come out. Your 1st pass is critical, the right amount of mounting solution, good pressure, and an even squeegee pass with the proper tool has to happen or you will get the bubbles every time.

You need days sometimes weeks to dry. Drying time varies, thick security films need more time than regular solar film for the water to dry out before applying 995 or it will lock in the moisture and prevent a good bond to the glass.

I have tried the blue max and a 6" hard vinal squeege and I still get the "Champagne Bubbles" & white clouds. maybe is the mixture of water to soap that I am using. What is the water ratio to soap that I should use? Which is the best soap that I should use?

Thanks in advanced

Guest vclimber
I have tried the blue max and a 6" hard vinal squeege and I still get the "Champagne Bubbles" & white clouds. maybe is the mixture of water to soap that I am using. What is the water ratio to soap that I should use? Which is the best soap that I should use?

Thanks in advanced

Film-On works good, some use baby shampoo though.

6" Power Max Blade in an Unger channel works better -imo.

what I do, is either just spray your solution on the glass surface, or the film intself, either two, but you have to be exact upon applying, best way and the way I do it. :bingo

:shock

You get a feel for how much is enough...

Guest VOLTRON

when installing security films thicker then 4 mill you need to have 2 people to install it for a few reasons. First of all, it is important to wet both the adhesive aswell as the glass. Doing this will eliminate both champagning aswell as other bubbles. The champagning is from very small air pockets in the adhesive which when the light hits them they reflect a bunch of different colors which gives it the champagne look. Also there have been many tests that show there is a better bond to the glass when wetting both the film and the glass.

Guest efranco

I wanted to know if I have water bubbles in the 8 mil window film can I put the wet glaze in right away or do I have to wait ? If I put the wet glaze in the same same will the water bubbles go away?

Guest vclimber
I wanted to know if I have water bubbles in the 8 mil window film can I put the wet glaze in right away or do I have to wait ? If I put the wet glaze in the same same will the water bubbles go away?

Make sure the edges are dry, then wet glaze. It is going to take a long time for 8 mil to dry out entirely to where you get the full-blown bond to the glass.

Archived