Help with 8 mil

Guest efranco

Guest VOLTRON

yes you can install the silicone right after the install of the film just make sure the edges are dry like climber said, but it is recommended to wait to let the film completly cure before installing the silicone because you seal all the water in and it will take even longer for the film to dry then it already does.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest efranco
Typcal cure time for 8mil film is 60 days. Like VO said, could take longer if you seal in the moisture.

60 days is a long time. Is there anyway to speed up the process mayby get thous construction lights and hit the film with them from 15 feet away or maybe a heat gun? I want to be able to install the safety film all in one shot and not have to remember that I have to go back in 2 weeks to do the wet glaze. Oh by the way what is better wet glaze (chemical adhesive) or a mechnical adhesive?

Guest vclimber

Typcal cure time for 8mil film is 60 days. Like VO said, could take longer if you seal in the moisture.

60 days is a long time. Is there anyway to speed up the process mayby get thous construction lights and hit the film with them from 15 feet away or maybe a heat gun? I want to be able to install the safety film all in one shot and not have to remember that I have to go back in 2 weeks to do the wet glaze. Oh by the way what is better wet glaze (chemical adhesive) or a mechnical adhesive?

Wet glaze= Structural Silicone

Cure time is the time it takes for the film to aquire a full-strength bond to the glass. Always good to tell the customer this because they will assume that the film will be at 100% strength the day after you install.

Sun speeds dry time, I would not recommend heat guns. :smoker

Guest VOLTRON

You can do the wet glaze right after you install the film but like we said you need to make sure the edges are dry and you clean them with alchohol to make sure you have the best bond to the frame aswell, it will just take a little longer for the film to completly cure.

Guest Key West

All these suggestions are right on the money. The only thing I would add is to make 1 SLOW pass on the First squegee pass, overlapping by at least 25%. If you try to squegee the water too fast, you end up "hydroplaning" and get less water out on the first pass. DO NOT try and squegee a second time. The thicker adhesives on 8 mil + films WILL move and smear. And yes wet both the film and glass. Are you by any chance using a Bekaert product? Oh shizznit, you said Suntek.

DEFINATELY try and do the glass when the sun is not beating on it. Hope this helps.

Guest carbontc
I am installing SunTek 8 mil and I keep getting little white clouds and a cluster of little tiny bubbles. I try to squeege them out and they don't come out. Will they go away with the sun? Also how long do I have to wait to add dow 995 to the windows or can I install that after I have let the film sit for an hour?

Problem: window solution

For your next job 8-mil install:

Use J&J baby BODY wash, not baby shampoo.

In a 2-3 gallon sprayer, fill up with regular water and 20-25 drops of J&J.

And do the job as the way you do it.

Wait 30 days to fully dry 8-mil window film, and then proceed with 995 install.

You will never see tiny-little-bitty bubbles anymore.

BTW I dont use the blue max squeege anymore. There is a new squeege sold by Llumar, they come in 2 different sizes, 1 as an 8" with aluminum handle and the other as 4 inch with brass handle. I dont know their names but they do the an awesome job!

:thumb

Guest baby bird

I just did an 8ml job, use a small sprayer that had a couple of drops of dawn, Im using what my guys call a 90 pounder, I wet the film and squegee twice and have had no problems with small bubbles so far.

Archived