Where to buy Film?

Guest SDSoCal

I get at least two people a day wanting to buy film off the roll from me. The answer is always no, I will not do it.

Two reasons for my answer:

One is taking food out of my mouth and the above statements.

Second, liability issue. There is more to installing solar control window films than just applying it. What about the glass itself? Who inspects the glass? What type of glass? Shading on the glass? Wrong film to a certain type of glass? Who is liable when a pane cracks due to improper film installed? ? Who handles the warranty if there is one?. If I instruct someone how to install the film and with my instructions they shove their hand through the window, am I liable for those instructions?

That is why there is limited products available to the public.

Guest vclimber
Actually, yes I can buy a 12 Seer or 13 seer AC unit right now. I can also buy the associated parts to repair it. I replaced my run capacitor just recently. I cannot buy and install freon because I do not have the government mandated collection equipment (and accompanying license) to make sure the freon is not released into the atmosphere. I see no parallel with window film.

I would not expect to pay the same price for a roll of film that a dealer pays. A dealer buys wholesale, and a dealer buys in volume. I understand that.

It won't do a lot of good debating the merits of that business model, so I will refrain. :bingo

Basically, the simple answer is no, a consumer can not buy good film. Right? :gasp

Well then it must be pretty frustrating to not be able to always get something when that is what you are used to doing.

:shock I don't know what else to tell you. That is the way this industry works and I am sure there is another parallel industry out there that works the same way. I for one am thankful because it is my living that would be affected if these films were sold directly to Joe Consumer.

Simple answer= "No a consumer cannot buy high-end film and install it themselves."

Guest SDSoCal

Actually, yes I can buy a 12 Seer or 13 seer AC unit right now. I can also buy the associated parts to repair it. I replaced my run capacitor just recently. I cannot buy and install freon because I do not have the government mandated collection equipment (and accompanying license) to make sure the freon is not released into the atmosphere. I see no parallel with window film.

I would not expect to pay the same price for a roll of film that a dealer pays. A dealer buys wholesale, and a dealer buys in volume. I understand that.

It won't do a lot of good debating the merits of that business model, so I will refrain. :shoot1

Basically, the simple answer is no, a consumer can not buy good film. Right? :beer

Well then it must be pretty frustrating to not be able to always get something when that is what you are used to doing.

:krazy I don't know what else to tell you. That is the way this industry works and I am sure there is another parallel industry out there that works the same way. I for one am thankful because it is my living that would be affected if these films were sold directly to Joe Consumer.

Simple answer= "No a consumer cannot buy high-end film and install it themselves."

Please don't get me wrong. I appreciate the fact that a good experienced installer will be much faster while consistently producing a prefessional result with little waste. I don't even know that I would want to do it myself, but I want the option so I can decide.

Painters, carpet layers and auto mechanics are not threatened by the fact I can do any of those things myself, why should tinters feel threatened? Most people have no interest in even considering doing these things themselves. I do consider it, and I still have never layed carpet, have sometimes painted sometimes hired a crew, and have completely rebuilt several cars but still go to a mechanic at times. It all depends on how much time, money and interest I have in performing a particular job myself.

Based on other professions there is no indication that your livelihood would be threatened if film was more widely available. In fact, the amount of professional installations would probably increase even after you subtract the small amount of DIYers.

Based on experience in other industries, I think the manufaturers are selling you a bill of goods. You are repeating the marketing hyperbole that is in their interest to keep margins high and production low, while really doing nothing for the end seller/installer.

Just my two cents.

BTW, yes, consumers do wander through this forum at times. I appreciate the various discussions I have read through arguing the merits of different types and brands of films. If I do have someone install film, I now have some insight into what I want on the windows. That will help steer me to a reputable installer so I won't naively get stuck with a shady installers "house" brand.

Thanks for the info.

Guest VOLTRON

Hell if you want to buy some film that bad I am sure you could get some film it is all about who you know. I cannot buy some of these films myself but know a dealer that would sell them to me if I wanted them how ever If I installed it on a customers home I could not give any kind of warranty to the customer. But I could buy some to install on my home although there will still be no warranty but I would be ok with this and I understand that you want to try and destroy it yerself and if you really want to buy some of this film it could be arranged however the cost will be great but if you are ok with this then I dont see a big deal with someone selling just the material for you to install.

Me being in this business I know how it works and understand all the dealers and installers here telling you that you cant get it and the reasons why for it could bring down the overall value in several different ways but I also understand the want to do it yerself.

Guest zolar

here's how I see it

if most DIY folks were so serious as to try it on their own

using a pro is a last resort, and we haven't really lost a retail customer

if they were to try 5 shops and 4 said............. bite me :shoot1

and one said SURE I will sell you some film

who would they be more inclined to do business with

if they try and really make a mess of it

even if it is acceptable for them

in the story of how they fought the tint papa to the in-laws

what shop might they reccomend to avoid the headaches of DIY film

not to mention shop 5 was the only one to make anything off the project

...not the mega home center depot

I would gladly sell you the film

but that high-end stuff is hard to come by

best of luck

if you need a pro there are several around here :krazy

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

wow, you guys have some very good points.lotza good angles. I've never had anyone ask to buy film from me . Now I have no clue what I should do if the occasion should arise.

Guest SDSoCal
I don't think you'll find either the film you want, or any sympathy here. :lol6

I don't recall asking for sympathy. I am curious about the business model, tho.

I know you can't discuss prices, but I thnk this is a reasonable question that can be answered: On a typical residential tinting job, is much percentage of your profit in reselling the tint itself, or is it predominantly the labor?

If the markup is small and your profit is mostly in labor, then it makes sense that it wouldn't be worthwhile to just resell 1 or 2 rolls at a time. It also makes sense that if a standard retail markup on expensive film equaled a good chunk of labor, it starts to make less sense to try and do it yourself.

As a consumer I look for good value. Good value often means paying a substantial price for professional skill. My desire to do this myself has nothing to do with being cheap and trying to avoid paying an installer. It's because I think the new technology films are very cool and I would like to play with them, plus I get a kick out of learning how to do things myself when I have the time. If all I cared about was being cheap, I wouldn't still be here asking questions, I'd be busy installing my new Gila film. I'm not really interested in that, tho.

BTW, I will never do business with someone who won't tell me how and why they are providing me with good value, and when I ask a question tells me to :thumb

Guest vclimber
I don't recall asking for sympathy. I am curious about the business model, tho.

I know you can't discuss prices, but I thnk this is a reasonable question that can be answered: On a typical residential tinting job, is much percentage of your profit in reselling the tint itself, or is it predominantly the labor?

A lot of that depends on the type of film your are selling and whether or not you are a one-man show or paying an installer hourly, or are you paying him comission based on square footage installed.

If the markup is small and your profit is mostly in labor, then it makes sense that it wouldn't be worthwhile to just resell 1 or 2 rolls at a time. It also makes sense that if a standard retail markup on expensive film equaled a good chunk of labor, it starts to make less sense to try and do it yourself.

I think you would have to consider how many sq ft of material you would need as well. Could affect whether or not it is a worthwhile DIY job. :thumb

As a consumer I look for good value. Good value often means paying a substantial price for professional skill. My desire to do this myself has nothing to do with being cheap and trying to avoid paying an installer. It's because I think the new technology films are very cool and I would like to play with them, plus I get a kick out of learning how to do things myself when I have the time. If all I cared about was being cheap, I wouldn't still be here asking questions, I'd be busy installing my new Gila film. I'm not really interested in that, tho.

I agree. Good value is a win win for both the dealer and consumer. I wish every customer would see it that way. Yes there are some incredibly cool films out there.

BTW, I will never do business with someone who won't tell me how and why they are providing me with good value, and when I ask a question tells me to :lol6

Wise move. :beer

Archived