POPPED a backglass

post-17474-1153829695.jpgiv heard of it happening :smoker and it did.

iv done more of these cars than I care to remember, what are the chances?

so we R&R the glass and the guy wants me to give it another shot, hes an employee. ill do it.

it was so loud! sounded like a gun shot. I thought a tire blew!

scared the shitite out of me.

bad glass? to much heat in all the wrong places? what the fudge :beer

maybe its time to retire.......... :lol2

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That HAS to be a defect in the glass. NICKLE SULFIDE INCLUSION or whatever they call it :smoker impurities in the glass. I have heard of it happening also but have never experienced it.

One day I was walking into a grocery store and I heard this loud pop, I looked around immediately and nobody was around. When I walked out and on my way back to my truck I passed a toyota camry and the back glass was shattered but the tint held it together. I know nobody threw anything at it because I looked immediately when I heard it. The same thing must have happened.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I believe that may be a laminated glass.If the defroster is very thin and you cannot feel it on the inside it is.

wait a minute, laminated glass generally does'nt shatter like that. it usually gives 1 long crack or a spider web.maybe the car has been in a collision and had put some bening stress on the glass, the when you applied heat, pop.

Guest scottstinting

WEll ive got to add I did it once to a volvo wagon with a heat gun . It was all done and I grabbed the gun for a problem area close to the edge for some more heat and Kaboom it shattered ,oops Cost wasnt to bad $175 and when the guy came out to fix it ,I replied about the crome trim in the gasket coming out and what a b***h to get it back I told him he should mask tape it down before removel,and that I wasnt telling him how to do his job but back in the day when I did slider windows ,I had a few bouts and he said it wascool hedidnt need it and 3 hrs later he was still trying to get it back in ,He calls another tech thats does alot of european cars and he says you didnt tape it .Needless to say I ghad to help him get it back in and they only charged me 100

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

Back in the day, I had a customer bring in a 70's model chevy pickup to have it tinted. real hot summer. The truck had been outside for a while before we brought it into the shop. About 15 minutes of being inside,my partner and I were sitting down looking at it from about 10 feet away.POW-- then vent window exploded right in front of our eyes. HOLY UNERWEAR BATMAN. Would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it for myself. Called the customer right away. He was so cool about it, and withen 10 minutes, he was there with a glass from the junk yard. wheew

Guest Shady

Done that too, on a peugoet 306. I gave the dot matrix a good heating cause they're s**t for the film sticking on em as they are so raised. It went with a bang alright, just like you said :smoker

Archived