Windshield repair/replacement

Voice opinions please. Had a local Auto Glass Center guy in here replacing the windshield on a blazer and watched him do it .... didnt look to hard at all, but im sure there are those pain in the arse ones .... but is it a high profit potential for a tint shop add on? Where can I go to check out tools and whatnot for removal and installation?

Voice opinions please. Had a local Auto Glass Center guy in here replacing the windshield on a blazer and watched him do it .... didnt look to hard at all, but im sure there are those pain in the arse ones .... but is it a high profit potential for a tint shop add on? Where can I go to check out tools and whatnot for removal and installation?

Repair is easy, look up Delta kits, read the booklet and you are set. Replacement takes a lot of years to learn to do correctly and to do well, it also takes a lot of tools and the proper materials are expensive. If you can get established, then the insurances pay well when they pay, but if you are in a competetive market where you are swarmed with little no name guys that pop up and disappear and do nothing more than fill people with false expectations of $100 replacements, you better be big for buying power and able to land those big jobs on the trust that you are doing it correctly. I would say without working for an autoglass replacement shop for a few years and picking up the trade, it would be damn near impossible for you to learn correctly on your own. There are schools that teach it, but the people I've seen that come out of these schools and have no real hands on experience would have been better off saving their money and getting an entry level job training at a shop. Get into repairs, the profits are high, the materials are cheap, and if you ever slow down tints you can slip out and do mobile repairs for 2x as much and see something other than the walls of your shop.

Guest Shady

I agree with The /// Man,

Small window fitting companies are getting pushed out by the bigger firms taking all the good paying insurance work. Soon all insurance policies will state that you have to use an autherised dealer and that won't include the small businesses. My old man is glad hes retiring after 30 years in this trade and he says long gone are the ?00.000.00 a month days.

But a small esprit or other repair kit would pay for itself and alway get used.

:dunno

I agree with The /// Man,

Small window fitting companies are getting pushed out by the bigger firms taking all the good paying insurance work. Soon all insurance policies will state that you have to use an autherised dealer and that won't include the small businesses. My old man is glad hes retiring after 30 years in this trade and he says long gone are the ?00.000.00 a month days.

But a small esprit or other repair kit would pay for itself and alway get used.

:dunno

Not long gone, you just have to have size, June, 3 of our stores did over $30k, one was a high $20k and our main branch $80k, not bad for a mom/daughter owned business.

Guest Shady

Not long gone, you just have to have size, June, 3 of our stores did over $30k, one was a high $20k and our main branch $80k, not bad for a mom/daughter owned business.

Good going :dunno

Archived