Burn on the side-mirror base

Guest Extractor

Guest Extractor

I have returned home from the tint shop and upon examination, I have noticed that the mirror base has severe burn mark on them. The tint technician had told me that he used baby powder and heat shrank the Huper Optik tint from outside of the car, and I suspect that's when the damage had occured.

Also, if you look carefully on the passenger side about an inch from the burnt side-mirror, there is a whitish circular patch within the tint that doesn't appear to be either air bubble nor a trapped dirt particle.

Anyway, I am very upset about the damage especially since I paid $425 for the Huper Optik ceramic tint and expected a near perfect tint. I will definately call the installer tomorrow, and ask them to fix the burnt plastic.

I hope they are nice about it and replace the damaged parts and redo the passenger side tint.

post-18202-1153959825.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have noticed that the mirror base has severe burn mark on them. The tint technician had told me that he used baby powder and heat shrank the Huper Optik tint from outside of the car, and I suspect that's when the damage had occured.

the powder had nothing to do with it...it's only used on the back window by some tinters. What kind of car is it ?

..and yes..it APPEARS to be a heat gun burn ..it's a guess seeing as none of us from the site was there :dunno

Some plastics you can't even go near with a heat gun for even a second where others can withstand a heatgun no problemo.

Guest Extractor

I have noticed that the mirror base has severe burn mark on them. The tint technician had told me that he used baby powder and heat shrank the Huper Optik tint from outside of the car, and I suspect that's when the damage had occured.

the powder had nothing to do with it...it's only used on the back window by some tinters. What kind of car is it ?

..and yes..it APPEARS to be a heat gun burn ..it's a guess seeing as none of us from the site was there :dunno

Some plastics you can't even go near with a heat gun for even a second where others can withstand a heatgun no problemo.

It is a 2006 BMW 330i. It was definately caused by the tintshop as the part was smooth as baby's butt before the tinting job. I really hope the tintshop is nice enough to just take care of the problem without me having to raise my voice. BTW, how difficult would it be to remove the film if it's only been 72 hours? Would it come off clean, even the back window with defrost lines? If they give me a hard time, I might ask them to take the tint off and get my money back.

Guest Extractor
wow. that sucks that plastic would have been smokin and stinkin........real bad.

good luck. :lol2

Quick update on the situation. I drove to a local BMW dealer for the repair estimate this morning. Almost $1500!!! :coffee

I contacted the tintshop and explained the situation. I faxed over the repair estimate with a print out of this discussion thread. Luckily, the shop was nice enough to take care of the problem. They will be paying for the repair and gave me full refund. They offered me to keep the tint, but I requested it to be taken off as I am not 100% satisfied.

So here is my next question. Since I had it installed about 24 hours ago, what are my chances of being able to peel this thing off clean withouth damaging the defroster line? It is Huper Optik ceramic 30% film. Is it already cured and stuck?

The reason I'm asking is that the tintshop is booked until next Wednesday (6 days away) and I am wondering whether it would be easier to remove the tint 24 hrs after install as oppose to 1 week after install. Also, having to take care of a cranky 2 year old on Wednesdays and the shop being 50 miles away is another issue.

I would try the DIY just for the sake of not having to travel 100 miles with a crying toddler in the back seat.

Guest darkdan

Removing 4 hour old tint is as hard as removing 6 year old tint.

If I were you, I'd keep the tint if the installation was good and clean. Get them to fix that one window, get your new mirror, and be on your merry way.

It's just simple math. $1500 mirror + tint job > $1500 mirror

Archived