my first flat glass job

Guest johnny1

Guest nautiboi73
I am still around.I have a full time job and I work shift work that lets me do stuff on the side.I started detailing boats 5 years ago and made good money and wanted to get into some thing else.I took a 4 day class with lumar for auto and did accouple of cars and trucks and my chapperral boat plus my house.

This job came up and wanted to give it a shot.the windows are double pain not factory tint.48'' x 64''

looks straight forward I'll have to get someone to help me.just need some advice were to get started.WANT TO DO A GOOD JOB.I will get the tint from lumar.

a 4 day class? well u didn't learn everything in those 4 days. not to knock you or anything but the last thing you want to do is get to a job and get stuck on something.

My suggestoin is to call up a local Llumar guy, explain your situation, ask if it is posible for them to help you, or give u a referal for the job while you learn under thier belt. that way you don't come out of pocket for film, you still get some money, and you may become a good extra for that shop if they ever need one and can learn from someone else and not by errors. :beer

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

I doubt a shop is going to wamt to train a competitor. To be honest part-time fly-by-nights for lack of a better description can be a real pain because they typically come in and snag jobs for real low prices, then disappear when the warranty issues start building up.

You took a good step though and invested in training. If you wan to make a career in film then sit down with a rep, Llumar is good, and they can help you get started. Llumar has a CD that can give you some go info. There is also a ton of good info on this site. :beer

Guest johnny1
I doubt a shop is going to wamt to train a competitor. To be honest part-time fly-by-nights for lack of a better description can be a real pain because they typically come in and snag jobs for real low prices, then disappear when the warranty issues start building up.

You took a good step though and invested in training. If you wan to make a career in film then sit down with a rep, Llumar is good, and they can help you get started. Llumar has a CD that can give you some go info. There is also a ton of good info on this site. :beer

Thanks for the advice.Lumar has a cd but you have to take the class to get it.The school is seven hours away.To train with some one is not do able because there is NO ONE IN THIS AREA,the closest place is over and hour away.Thats way I want to give this a shot.There door is wide open here.I am not saying that I will give them a pro job ,but I will not charge much ,I just need the training and get the word out.You have to start some were.When I started detailing and shrinkwrapping boats no one would help me out and I can understand way but that is not going to stop me from making some money for my self .

Guest vclimber

In your situation I would go take the Flat Glass course, get the CD, read as many of the FG post here as you can and then go get some film and do friends and family's homes for experience. Then you can venture out on your own. :beer

Guest Wylde

Suuure you didn't... :beer

no offense to the original poster..but ..he is obviously hasnt been in the business very long or if at all..or he would know the question that he has asked..

I knew the biz well enough before I started installing residential or commecial film.

:beer

Isn't that what this forum is for, to ask for and get help? Not get ripped for not knowing. :DD

vclimber...I'm with you, I'm just thinking about starting THE BUSINESS, and I have alot of questions that you guys might think are dumb. All I'm looking for are tips and advise and anything that you experts can pass down. This seems to be the best forum on the net to talk to actual Professionals that have been there and done that. Someone should write down the knowledge from all of these posts and write a book. I was skeptical about going on the internet to get advise, but I've already learned a lot just from this forum. For you pro's out there, please be patient with us new guys. Some day we want to grow up to be just like you. lol. Anyway, Bubbles are in beer, not tint..... :DD

yep in the same situation just started doing tinting sidelined with my upholstery business. got my first commercial flatglass this weekend.

its as if most peeps didnt need training or never started with no experience but only a few are sarcastic.

Archived