tinting auto glass thats not in the car

Guest tintgod
screw tinting glass out of the car! seems to always get damaged when installed back into the car. And of course they want to blame you for it

that only happens wene you dont know what you are doing :DD

thanks for the great advice. I am worried about the install too, when they put these back in it could scratch so easily..

if they know what they are doing...it will be just fine

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a neon that needs tint. Its at our bodyshop and they want it done on site and the glass is not in the car. The car is actually being repainted because the kid who got the car is color blind and white = pink. So now the car will be sprayed black.. dont ask and I dont know. I am just thinking I am set for disaster since I have never done windows not in a car and I am sure I have nothing to really work on. I am just looking for advice or tips on how to play this.. Worst case I install when they are back in the car.. for some reason the bodyshop thinks it is easier when they are removed and it should be cheaper because of this.. I mean they are the tint experts arent they.. I sure as hell am not! :DD

charge lots more just because youre time and gas ...... pluuuuus, if the body shop does a sh***y job of installing the glass after its tinted, you have to take more time and tint to replace it ...... on thier behalf because they "thought it would be easier." :DD

Guest iceman7329
Body shops and tint shouldnt even be in the same sentence net alone the same building can you say contamination

I prefer tinting in the paint both at the body shop. So clean.

some bodyshops are clean. some are dirty as hell......bondo flyin.....sucks.

I popped a backglass last week, :beer the glass guy was tellin me to tint the glass befor he installed it.

I said no! install it and ill tint it, it will be cleaner and eaiser for me to work on. he says, why? why?why?

he says lots of tinters tint glass out of the car. JUST INSTALL THE DAM GLASS do your job and go. :DD

its funny, everybody knows more about what you do for a living ,than you do.

just tell em .....no extra charge for dirt. :DD when they complain , tell em its a work of art, tell em I call it stary stary night. :beer

Okay, well I am goin in and checkin out the setup tomorrow.. the body shop is in a terrbile state and I know this for sure because they have a new one being built for them currently. The manager is also the biggest B&$^@ I have met, you do not get on her bad side... she is a big know it all so I am sure she can show me how to tint properly.

Anyone have any pics of a setup that holds removed glass?? It might help to show her what should be used for this job so she can understand they dont have the proper equipement to facilitate me. :thumb

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

5 o feen, let me tell you straight up. RUN ,RUN, RUN, as fast as you can. It seems like you are new to this , and every job may seem important, but, they are not! sounds like this job is on it's way to biting you on the ass. Spend your time and energy on finding jobs that are worth your time. And don't waste your time with azzholes.There are plenty of good people out there to deal with, and you seem like a good guy to me.Go with your gut feeling, mother nature has given us that sense for a reason, so use it! Today it is easy to let our thoughts go against it,thus, mistakes are made. Work on your own terms , don't let someone tell you how to do your job, for they are not tinters, you are. 1peecout

5 o feen, let me tell you straight up. RUN ,RUN, RUN, as fast as you can. It seems like you are new to this , and every job may seem important, but, they are not! sounds like this job is on it's way to biting you on the ass. Spend your time and energy on finding jobs that are worth your time. And don't waste your time with azzholes.There are plenty of good people out there to deal with, and you seem like a good guy to me.Go with your gut feeling, mother nature has given us that sense for a reason, so use it! Today it is easy to let our thoughts go against it,thus, mistakes are made. Work on your own terms , don't let someone tell you how to do your job, for they are not tinters, you are. 1peecout

thanks,

Yep I am new to tint, I have worked in shops for 5 years now and I am quickly learning how different tint is though (got burned by a boat that I quoted way low already) . That is good advice to go with my gut, thats why I want to visit tomorrow and check it out and make a decision based on that. I am sure they will throw a fit if I back out but I dont care. This town has nothin but hacks, I cant gloat yet but I dont let a bad tint leave my shop even if it means I lose a job.

I work sales for a truck accessory store owned by a chrysler dealer, I picked up tinting on the side and I am a "contract employee" for tint.

Guest tintgod
Okay, well I am goin in and checkin out the setup tomorrow.. the body shop is in a terrbile state and I know this for sure because they have a new one being built for them currently. The manager is also the biggest B&$^@ I have met, you do not get on her bad side... she is a big know it all so I am sure she can show me how to tint properly.

Anyone have any pics of a setup that holds removed glass?? It might help to show her what should be used for this job so she can understand they dont have the proper equipement to facilitate me. :thumb

something like this should be in order

post-111-1154286176.jpg

I almost always tell people I will not tint glass out of the car. The glass is just too hard to secure especially curved back glass windows. One thing I can tell you for sure if I did do it out of the car and the installer scratched it putting it in I would be more than happy to re-tint it but you can bet they would be paying for tint removal and retint.

guest,

That is pretty cool there what you have rigged up. That could definfatly be the answere for tinting flat side windows but I still wonder how often one you have been tinting has popped off while you were trying to tinit it. Also how much does the it flex? Do you have another set-up for back glasses? I really like that idea and it is certainly worth consideration.

Guest tinterjim

I don't understand why in the hell they would want to do it out of the car in the first place :thumb I'd tell them when your done doing what you gotta do then call me and I'll do what I gotta do.

Archived