Dont wanna pull panels any more!!!

Guest JMass

Guest JMass

Ok I have been pulling panels for like 2 years, now I am wanting to keep them on to save time.. here is the hard part for me, when I get the top edge all sqeeegeed I run ito a prblem with it wanting to crease or whatever about half way down in on the sides of the window.. what do u do to prevent this while tucking the bottom. please help a sucka out. :bingo

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok I have been pulling panels for like 2 years, now I am wanting to keep them on to save time.. here is the hard part for me, when I get the top edge all sqeeegeed I run ito a prblem with it wanting to crease or whatever about half way down in on the sides of the window.. what do u do to prevent this while tucking the bottom. please help a sucka out. :bingo

when you tuck your sides back in the channel, always try and keep the film in a little sort of cone, this prevent creasing ans touching felts and what not. when you are squeegeeing the top part, don't squeegee all the way down to where the cone is, leave and inch or so, it's going to pick up anyways while you are tucking it behind the bottom felt. Flush the glass really well from the middle out, peel the liner and flush some more, the cone needs to be maintained though, so be careful not to lift the film too much. lay the film down, pick the rubber back and tuck the film behind and squeegee from the center out.

Now, a couple tips. You have to shrink and shrink well, or you will get fingers, a lot more than when you pull panels, and now they have more felt and dirt to suck up. I usually will cut the patterns dead on on the sides, and leave about 1/16-1/8" gap at the bottom, this way with the smaller surface area and a nice tight nickel, it lines up about dead even with the felt and there's no daylight or such. You don't want to try tucking 1/4" of film behind the felt, it's just bad news.

One more thing, I have been installing glass for 8.5 years now, so this may come a little easier to me, but on the majority of cars it doesn't take much more than 5 minutes to remove 4 door panels and the same to re-install them. If it allows you to do a much cleaner job, spend the extra 10 minutes.

Guest JMass

If it allows you to do a much cleaner job, spend the extra 10 minutes.

:bingo

Hey thanks man, good and detailed, should help.... pulling pannels doesnt take me much longer than 10 min so I might keep doin that, but its always nice to cut corners and save time and money..

IF any one else has any ideas I am all ears

Hey thanks man, good and detailed, should help.... pulling pannels doesnt take me much longer than 10 min so I might keep doin that, but its always nice to cut corners and save time and money..

Look at it this way, is it really saving time and money if you have to strip and redo one window? takes a lot longer than 10 minutes. Just pick your battles. Honda, toyota, nissan, newer BMW's, never have a problem with the panels on, VW's, Fords, a lot of dodges, easier with the panel off, except the newest VW's, those are cake.

Everyone has their own ways-But I havent pulled a panel in 19.5 years! Technique will will allow you to do a clean job and leave them on! Before you roll it up -Lift the film and slightly pull from the middle.This will untuck the side where it normally creases.Flush or squeegee then feed film behind the gasket. :beer Good luck!

Guest JMass

ok thanks, I noticed if I cut the sides to big it makes it a pain to tuck behind. Also when I take pannels off I have always slid the them down to bottom then do the top, even when you guys take the panels off u do it the same way as if they were still on right??

even when you guys take the panels off u do it the same way as if they were still on right??

Yeah, I just drop the whole tint in the door and line it up and squeegee just like the panel is on, it's just nice to have the panel off so you can drop the tint in with a bow in the middle and then slide it out, no felt/dirt.

Guest Soultinter

if you cut CAREFULLY, and pre-shrink before sticking, and have a good technique, you can achieve a very high quality level without pulling panels. I tape felt gaskets to prevent contam, roll window down an inch or so, peel release from top down to about 2-3 " from bottom, take piece of tint w release hanging and apply to top of window and about half down, squeege out and holding tint in center and lifting slightly away from glass (the "cone" move), roll up window, flush bottom of glass and remove release and lay in place. You should only have to tuck below the gasket about 1/8" (corresponding to your gap at top of glass and relative to how high or low inner gasket is to outer gasket). :bingo

Archived