Quick question for the pros

Guest scape22

Guest scape22

Ive gotta quick question for yall.

I was thinking of tryin and starting up a small mobile detailing business and expanding. Well, I can clean a car yes but just cleaning it isnt going to cut it. Where would yall suggest going to learn detailing....the tricks of the trade kinda. like how to use a high speed buffer, etc. would getting a job at a detailing shop as an apprentice be a good start? because if I do something for someone else, I want it to be done right and look professional. but I was just kinda wonder how you pros started out and what you would suggest. thanks

Guest mikeys

You got the right idea try working at a detail shop get your experience level up and head out on your own when you feel comfortable... talk to some suppliers they also can help out with showing techniques and stuff and show you dif products available to do what needs to be done (3m has some good reps) one stayed in town an extra day and gave me tons of samples

:DD

Guest WASHBOY

I would recomemed trainning too, it take trail n error to figure out how to properly detail a vehicle the right way! There are accually course that u can take that can get u up to par in no time at all, as long as u stick with it! Once u got the deatiling procces down than come back to learn the biz side. We dont want to put to much on your plate or else u will be overloaded with too much info! Good luck....

Also, if u sroll throuh the other posts most likely u will find all the info ur looking for!

Guest goldntint

I agree with them. I taught myself most of the basics through trial and error which led to my learning how to paint a car ( BURNT PAINT = NEW PAINT). Take the classes that are available even if you have to drive quite a way because that is still cheaper and less frustrating than the trial and error way that I learned. By the way, I still attend classes(now that I know better) and still learn different and sometimes better ways everytime and I have been at this for a while.

Guest scape22

can any anyone maybe recommend a class in the southeast as close to north AL as possible that they have been too and thought was good... im thinking especially in the high speed buffer, paint chip/scratch, and wheel scuff repair. o and thanks again for the replies its helped alot

actually even better would be a weekend forum... ive heard of a few detailing companies doing that

Just get a job out in the field for awhile...This is going to be your best way to get your feet wet and learn the tricks of the trade...When it comes to buffing, personally I wont do it unless I know the car and I know the quality of paint that is on it...A buffer can be a wonderful and a terrible thing...Kinda like my mind...although I lost it awhile back....If you want to know how to properly use a buffer get a job at a body shop or take a automotive refinishing classs....Talk to your local vocational school.

Archived