Any Suggestions.....Cracked Glass

Well its my first cracked glass call back. I tinted these clear single panes (4ft x 4ft) less than 1/4 inch thick on a used car dealership today. No rubber gaskets (or at least none that I saw) Pretty old building facing west. I used LuLu DL-15 (absorption rate of 59%). I thoroughly looked at the film to glass reccommendation chart prior to installing it and according to it I got a 9 rating which makes it okay. I figured pretty much anything goes if it is single pane and less than a 1/4 inch thick. There was maybe a 1/2 inch or so at the bottom of each pane that I could not cover due to a sill covering that part from the inside. The customer states it started to crack at the bottom of only one window. I called JWF to get thier opinion on the matter since 44tools was closed and they said it should not be a problem with the film causing the cracking. My only concern is that the film was applied this morning. Hard to believe it was just a coincidense. I have a feeling I will be replacing the window just to make the customer happy. What would you all do. I am about to run over there and check it out for myself. Its my theory that if it was the film, all the windows should of cracked. Am I wrong to think this? Let me know what u guys think.100_0790.jpg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Readyman

Sometimes :beer happens.

Glass breakage usually occurs when there is a chip or flaw on the edge of the glass which results in a weak spot on that edge, and when the film starts to absorb some heat, the glass breaks.

If you have ever been there when they pull the glass out make sure to look at the edge, chances are you will find something.

I wouldn't worry about the other panes, if the film is apropriate for the application, it shouldn't be a problem.

Guest vclimber

Here's your problem. Uneven heating, that gap is what got ya. DL 15 is a really high absorbing film and that 1/2" gap plus the "bite of the window frame at the bottom makes for a nice sized slice of unfilmed glass. It doesn't matter if it's single pane in this case.

break.jpg

Well I went to look at it. It is a "single" hairline crack. According to written warranty info via LuLu cracks related to film will split into two seperate lines within 2 inches from the origin, which this does not. I can see the unfilmed gap at the bottom and there doesnt seem to be any screw or anything. Like I said these glass panes are pretty much like storm windows. Maybe I pushed too hard when I was getting the water out during the install, but I thoroughly checked the panes after the install and there was nothing to note. More than likely I will see how much it will cost to have it replaced and retint it for free. I dont want to get a bad name via word of mouth. As far as the absorption % it really doesnt matter when it comes to single pane..At leats that is what I have always been told or read. Like you said sometimes SH@$ happens. What am I gonna say "Sorry not my fault...see yah later" You dont stay in business very long with that type of attitude with customers. Anymore comments????????????? or Suggestions or did I answer my own question?

Here is the crack in question....Sounds like we are on a plumbers forum...hehe

Crack.jpg

Another thing......why didnt the other windows crack...... Is it a gamble to leave the tint on the others???? JWF rep told me a gap that size shouldnt matter because the glass is less than 1/4" thick......UGH!!! I guess I will try to confim it with a LULU rep tommorow..... At least the customer is being cool....for now.hehe

According to written warranty info via LuLu cracks related to film will split into two seperate lines within 2 inches from the origin, which this does not.

News to me. I don't remember a single window that has cracked that did that. Stress cracks usually go from one edge towards another and sometimes splits on the way.

Climber is right about the hot spot, need to pay attention to these especially on IG units. Too many installers out there have this bad habit about not paying attention. It costs in the long run.

1/4" annealed glass is not expensive to replace.

You posted that pic whle I was typing.

That crack is either from glass sitting on something like a nail or an existing crack hidden in the frame

According to written warranty info via LuLu cracks related to film will split into two seperate lines within 2 inches from the origin, which this does not.

News to me. I don't remember a single window that has cracked that did that. Stress cracks usually go from one edge towards another and sometimes splits on the way.

Climber is right about the hot spot, need to pay attention to these especially on IG units. Too many installers out there have this bad habit about not paying attention. It costs in the long run.

1/4" annealed glass is not expensive to replace.

Would applying a strip of black or white vinyl on the outside covering the untinted area help the others? What would you do? I was hoping it wouldnt be too expensive to replace. Thanks for making me feel better about that..

Archived