New Jersye Inspections

Guest JMBalmer

Guest JMBalmer

I have a 2003 Silverado Ext Cab 4X4 and Yesterday went through the state inspection and was failed due to "Mirror Tint". Four years ago I had the rear and back windows tinted with Sliver/Black tinting, been through inspection before and passed , now I fail. I'm trying to find where it is WRITTEN the types of tint allowed/not allowed for New Jersey. When it was applied by the Dealer told me only the back and rear side windows were allowed tint in New Jersey. Can anyone give me some guidance?

Guest willie
I have a 2003 Silverado Ext Cab 4X4 and Yesterday went through the state inspection and was failed due to "Mirror Tint". Four years ago I had the rear and back windows tinted with Sliver/Black tinting, been through inspection before and passed , now I fail. I'm trying to find where it is WRITTEN the types of tint allowed/not allowed for New Jersey. When it was applied by the Dealer told me only the back and rear side windows were allowed tint in New Jersey. Can anyone give me some guidance?

look at the window tinting state laws fact sheet on this site

my sheet says

none allowed on fronts

any net darkness on the back but no metallic or mirrored appearance :poop

Guest JMBalmer
The laws list here doesn't cover reflectivity, fader tint or colored tint laws.

I have it in writing now. Dept. of Law and Public Saftey 13:20-32.7

(h) A motor vehicle shall not be certified(Passed) which has mirror-type matreial on any window. this is on page 20-27

Guest JMBalmer

Boy was this fun After being on the vehicle for 3yrs and applied by a respected Tinting dealer and no one was aware of the law, not even the State Police. Everyone was under the impression that Jersey went by the % system,35,15,and 5% on the rear and Back windows. So in fact I had an illegal Tint applied and was aware of it. Mirror Type Material is the kicker on any window is not allowed in the State of New Jersey. So be aware anyone in Jersey when you go through those inspection line you'll see a RED failure sticker on your windshield..

Archived