Small Tint Scratch

Guest Deanna S.

Guest Deanna S.

I live in South Florida. Yesterday we had a wicked storm - thunder, lightning, hail etc....I had to drive home in this mess and also stop at the pharmacy. While parking at the pharmacy, my umbrella exploded in my truck (Ford Explorer) and scratched my drivers side tint. I've had the tint on for a couple of years now and really enjoy having it. It cuts down on the glare and heat in this Florida environment. And I've been SO careful not to scratch it at all!!

Now I have a small scratch there and its so noticeable. It looks as if you took a ball point pen and made a thin line about a half inch long.

Any thoughts on a DIY repair of this?

Thanks~

Dee -

In South Florida

Guest Deanna S.

Actually - I had thought about that - so I just went outside after getting this posting and did it.

I figured that if there wasn't another fix besides replacing it, it couldn't hurt. I'll say that it looks better than the "white" streak - but not great.

It will have to do for now. You can see the scratch mark much better from the inside than the outside and the black marker looks a bit better.

I wondered if there was perhaps a "heat" application that the pros used to make the film stretch over the scratch? Although I wouldnt dare try it myself - I would fry the whole thing..

Thanks again.

D~

Guest tintjob@yahoo
Actually - I had thought about that - so I just went outside after getting this posting and did it.

I figured that if there wasn't another fix besides replacing it, it couldn't hurt. I'll say that it looks better than the "white" streak - but not great.

It will have to do for now. You can see the scratch mark much better from the inside than the outside and the black marker looks a bit better.

I wondered if there was perhaps a "heat" application that the pros used to make the film stretch over the scratch? Although I wouldnt dare try it myself - I would fry the whole thing..

Thanks again.

D~

No technique to "stretch" the film...... sorry...

Guest Key West
I'd hoped for another option - but I appreciate your information.

D~

they aint lyin'. Ya gotta replace it! Sorry, but there is no "Repair" :beer

Thanks again.

D~

Dammit man, If I could only figure out how to do that, I'd retire!! :dunno

Archived