ah the joys of being a newbie tinter

I have worked in the automotive industry for roughly 6 years primarily in a goodyear tire shop / garage and now an accessory store but wow is tint a different game with similar situations though.

I did a rear window on a lil s-10 and the customer comes back a few days later. I go check out his truck to see what the problem is, there are several.

#1 - A piece of dirt in the tint, well I run my finger over it and its smooth.. nothin there I explain its in the glass. He doesnt agree

#2 - A scratch in the glass that looks like something in the bed at one point rubbed up against the glass, again explained a razor blade wouldnt make a scratch like that. It looked like something a lie detector would scribble.

#3 - scratches around the truck, thick scratches.. I take him over to my beater truck and run my olfa blade down the side of it, show him the thin scratch it produced and compare it to the thick ones on his truck.. his reply was it wasnt there before it was tinted..

Ugh just because you havent looked at your truck in months and now you finally look over it doesnt mean I did it, especially when I have a pimpin cuttin board I have been using for this exact reason.

I pulled the truck in removed the tint, showed him the "dirt" was still there he asked if I'd re-do it. I gave him his money back (a mistake, but cant do anythin bout it now) and sent him on his way..

Some people are just not worth tryin to work with.. rare but they are out there.

all that over a simple flat truck rear window that takes no time to do and looked great. I had several friends and co workers present at the time and asked all of them to go look at the tint job and be as @nal as possible. Every single one of them said they woulda been very happy with the job done.

I cant wait till he visits the other shop in town that hacks like crazy, he will be wishin he'd never complained.

lesson learned - next time I aint giving the money back. And I am doing a scratch inventory on POS cars from now on, there were so many scratches in the truck I figured it wasnt neccessary. Because I am new to the game I am not as confident as I am with other aspects of customizing cars and I have made a few bad judgement calls because of this. STICK TO YOUR GUNS! doh! :krazy:

Guest CajunTinter

Don't get discouraged, stick to your guns and keep at it.... Not every customer is an idiot. But I learned a long time ago to CYA and note any defects on every vehicle before it's pulled into the shop.

Guest CSCustoms

Next time someone says it's in the tint and your 100% sure it's not, just let them know, that if you peel it and it is in the tint, you'll redo it for free, if it's in the glass like you said, then you'll have to charge extra for peeling and retinting. That will convince them it's not in the tint and change there mind. Most people don't want to spend more because of there stupidity.

Also, if you notice more people are pointing out whats wrong with there car, that it wasn't there before they brought it in. It's good to have a form, look over the car with the customer when he drops it off. Mark down all flaws, inside and out and get them to sign it. With that little extra time will save you a lot from having to fix what you didn't break, scratch etc.

Even a good way of knowing the future of how the customer will be, just ask him when he drops the car off if he is meticulus, if so, heck tell him there is a meticulus charge which then the tint will be 99% perfect, because we all know there is no such thing as 100% perfect or even pass on doing it, sometimes the headache is just not worth it.

We all get them and learn how to deal with them. Here is my salute to those customers. :beer

Guest autotinter

Next time someone says it's in the tint and your 100% sure it's not, just let them know, that if you peel it and it is in the tint, you'll redo it for free, if it's in the glass like you said, then you'll have to charge extra for peeling and retinting. That will convince them it's not in the tint and change there mind. Most people don't want to spend more because of there stupidity.

excellent point CSCustoms :beer

Archived