2 inch scratch on rear left glass...

Guest skwirl

Guest skwirl

OK, so I took my car to a window tint place that came highly recommended in car forums around my area.

Guy did an amazing job. However, I noticed a scratch on my rear left window, about 2 inches long. I thought it might have been the tint.

I called him up ASAP and he explained that he's seen this a lot. Some lot attendant at the dealership probably used a knife to cut off the dealership stickers on the windows and scratched the glass.

He's saying I should probably talk to my car dealer to get a new window under warranty.

Has anyone else seen/heard of this before in the tinting business? Any truth to this story?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

scratches in the glass are common. what kind of vehicle are we talking about here. scratches show up better once tint is put behind them. it might have been there from the beginning. don't blame the tinter yet. I've been blamed for scratches on old late 70's ford/chevy trucks several times because the owners don't notice them until the tint helps them show up. it's happened to me on many newer model vehicles too.

Guest skwirl
scratches in the glass are common. what kind of vehicle are we talking about here. scratches show up better once tint is put behind them. it might have been there from the beginning. don't blame the tinter yet. I've been blamed for scratches on old late 70's ford/chevy trucks several times because the owners don't notice them until the tint helps them show up. it's happened to me on many newer model vehicles too.

It's a 2006 Volvo S40. Bought it about 2 weeks ago. And like I said, I think he did an amazing job. I just wanted to see if his explanation was accurate/honest.

How have your customers with new model vehicles dealt with this? Have the dealers been pretty good about replacing the glass under warranty?

Guest skwirl
I honestly don't know how the dealers handled it. :lol6 wasn't my problem.

where's the scratch? I'd like to see it before passing any judgement. you got pics?

I'm an newb photographer, so I apologize for the crappy photos.

Two taken from an angle. The last one is taken dead on.

DSCN1189.jpg

DSCN1191.jpg

DSCN1185.jpg

Inside or outside? Inside, the dealer probably did it, outside, it was probably there. Now the down side of thigs, you probably should have brought this issue up when you purchased the vehicle as 99% of dealerships will say your are SOL and it happened after you bought the car. There are a few options, either scratch removal or replace the glass, or even just wait for some waterspots and you probably will forget it was there. I don't think it will polish out, but look in your area for scratch removal experts.

Guest skwirl
Inside or outside? Inside, the dealer probably did it, outside, it was probably there. Now the down side of thigs, you probably should have brought this issue up when you purchased the vehicle as 99% of dealerships will say your are SOL and it happened after you bought the car. There are a few options, either scratch removal or replace the glass, or even just wait for some waterspots and you probably will forget it was there. I don't think it will polish out, but look in your area for scratch removal experts.

The scratch is on the inside. I will try calling the local dealership to see what they'll do. If nothing from them, I'll try Volvo corporate to get a second opinion. How much do scratch removal experts typically run?

Archived