waxing tinted windows

Guest kamiiyu

Guest kamiiyu

hi,

quick question waxing window tint. is it safe to do so?

would it destoy the film or the effective of the tint? I applied it on the inside and when I buffed it it had lots of static at first. then the static disappeared and it looks fine. would it make the tint turn purple down the road?

the reason why I need to do this is to have a slippery texture on the inside of the windows so that it can roll down without the rubber sill inside being pulled in.

please let me know if this is safe for the tint film.

thanks in advance!

First of all if your seals are rolling, then I would felt the seals or replace them. I wax the glass on the outside just to make rain and dirt roll off. A good carnuba wax may not hurt the tint during its normal expected lifetime of many years. I would watch out for scratching it during the process though. All said, I'm not recommending patching another problem that needs to be fixed, your seals...

Guest kamiiyu

thanks guys for all the replies.

I looked at changing the rubber seal but there are no OEM parts for my car available where I live. with that said, I know the felt part of the seal is going or gone, but I don't think I can replace it at the moment.

I used Meguiars #26 carnuba wax and made sure that the tint was clean before applying. also, if/when I have to do this process again I will be very careful of the dirt/grit on the tint before applying the wax.

I hope there won't be any problems in the near future or long term, for that matter, but if anyone has any other observations or comments about long term effects, please let me know.

the last thing I want is for the tint to turn purple :thumb

The purple is caused from UV and age, it really depends on the film and how much exposure it gets as far as longevity.

It probably wont last much more that 5 years regardless of brand (yes the lifetime warranty was a cruel joke of a sales ploy invented by film companies who should know better). But keep in mind that over that 5 years the film is taking the damage that your interior would have otherwise.

When the stuff turns purple, just pay to have it stripped and retinted.

Guest VaTinterPMan

I worked at a dealer ship and on a L300 used a person putt the kelly blue book stickers on the tinted windows. So what I did was madea whole with the razor blade so I could rip the paper then I soaked the remaining paper with the adhesive then wiped. let dry then put was on the window 4x or 5x to get the rest of the glue. it didnt hurt the file or scratch I was a detailer at the time so I was using a micro-fiber towel to do the wax off motion then I used a micro towel to put the wax on as a applicator so t\it would be sure not to scratch. For ever one though car wax is great for those little spots of glue that dont want to come off on the back window. it breaks it down perfectly.

Archived