contamination - re-do or $$$ back?

Guest 92Rover

Guest 92Rover

I hired a guy to re-tint my GF's '92 Range Rover (in great shape, not a rusty POC). I had previously done a very good job removing the old metallized tint (heat gun) that had been all scratched up by the previous owner - got 99% of all the old glue, (missed pulling the trim on one back door) with #0000 fine steel wool and Goo Gone, followed up by a thorough cleaning. He put on new metallized film, seemed to have done an alright job at the time, but there was a lot of moisture under it. I took the truck home, and let it sit for three full days.... Found contamination (dust bubbles, about 1/16" diameter, with at least one cluster of 5-10 bits) in _every_ panel - hairs in two of them, and big chunks of something in two others- and the corners of the windup windows look like they were cut by a first-grader with dull scissors. He wants to "fix" it for me - am I completely out of my mind to ask for my cash back? I'm not expecting complete perfection - a spot or hair here or there is fine - but not _every_ pane!?! I had the front windows of my Volvo redone, and there's not _any_ contamination in those. (Also done with metallized film, just one shade lighter) The tinter's making a bunch of noise about the fact that the previous tint had to be dyed film, the metal shows up too much dirt, I left too much glue, etc, etc. I really wish he would have told me ahaed of time that there'd be contamination showing if he did the tint- I would have taken it elsewhere.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

metal or dyed, it should be clean. I hope you told him it was previously tinted and you did the cleaning and removal. Either way, let him re-do it. It's his labor involved. Always give them a chance unless it was done so badly you're afraid of damage to the vehicle.

Guest 92Rover
metal or dyed, it should be clean. I hope you told him it was previously tinted and you did the cleaning and removal. Either way, let him re-do it. It's his labor involved. Always give them a chance unless it was done so badly you're afraid of damage to the vehicle.

I definitely told him that it was previously tinted and that I did the cleaning and removal. I'm just doubtful about letting him re-do a job that was done so badly in the first place.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

Whoa! Some of the Range Rovers had a major problem with pitted glass. That may or may not be the case with yours. If it does, the dyed film would hide it more than the metalized , which tends to amplify it more.

Whoa! Some of the Range Rovers had a major problem with pitted glass. That may or may not be the case with yours. If it does, the dyed film would hide it more than the metalized , which tends to amplify it more.

you're right. I forgot about that. doesn't explain the hair's. :thumb maybe he was taking care of other business as well. I remember the pits on one I did. Thought it was weld marks at first. Found no evidence of previous body work and decided to just stare at it puzzled :whisper

Guest 92Rover

you're right. I forgot about that. doesn't explain the hair's. :whisper maybe he was taking care of other business as well. I remember the pits on one I did. Thought it was weld marks at first. Found no evidence of previous body work and decided to just stare at it puzzled :thumb

It's not pitted glass (I got a _very_ good look at it while removing the old tint, took about four hours doing it), the guy is supposedly a pro who does this for a living, he tints for some of the local dealers and auto custom shops, but he came out and did the job in the parking lot where I work. I just _really_ wish he would have told me ahead of time if he didn't think he could get a clean job where he was doing it, or I would have made arrangements to have him do it elsewhere had he told me. It also wasn't the cheapest estimate I got, either.... :beer

Archived