contamination - re-do or $$$ back?

Guest 92Rover

Guest IsLNdbOi

Whoa! Some of the Range Rovers had a major problem with pitted glass. That may or may not be the case with yours. If it does, the dyed film would hide it more than the metalized , which tends to amplify it more.

you're right. I forgot about that. doesn't explain the hair's. :spit maybe he was taking care of other business as well. I remember the pits on one I did. Thought it was weld marks at first. Found no evidence of previous body work and decided to just stare at it puzzled :spit

It's not pitted glass (I got a _very_ good look at it while removing the old tint, took about four hours doing it), the guy is supposedly a pro who does this for a living, he tints for some of the local dealers and auto custom shops, but he came out and did the job in the parking lot where I work. I just _really_ wish he would have told me ahead of time if he didn't think he could get a clean job where he was doing it, or I would have made arrangements to have him do it elsewhere had he told me. It also wasn't the cheapest estimate I got, either.... :spit

What in the name of God were you thinking, letting someone tint your vehicle OUTSIDE in a PARKING LOT? As opposed to a windborn debris free, clean environment like, say.... a Tint Shop? Don't get me wrong. I've seen (and done) some awesome outside jobs, but conditions were just right. Most mobile tinters fall into one of two categories. Just starting out, willing to do anything or the Absolute professional, who understands the problems associated with outdoor/mobile tinting. The latter category generally charge a bit higher than a shop, because they provide more convenience to the customer. With the former, you'll get a lower price, and lower quality. Ya get what ya pay for. :spit:lol:lol

I got my car tinted yesterday by one of these mobile tinters. They came and did it in my garage. He brought two other guys with him. Supposedly he has been doing this for 12+ years. Overall the job looks pretty good. However, there are a couple of spots that look like the film is creased and is bunching up. These are just small little areas, but still...

Also, he put two scratches on my windows. One on each rear passenger window. Finally, I asked for Llumar ATR and he showed me what was supposedly Llumar, but instead of ATR High Performance he showed me AT Premium Dyed (Non-Reflective). This AT Premium was alot darker than the ATR High Performance he showed me and he also said that he recommended it over the ATR.

I went with this AT Premium and the total cost of coming to my home and installing this AT Premium was $260.

Today when I drove to school and home, I could barely see my side view mirrors because the tint was reflecting the image of the door rest over the part of the window that's has view of the side view mirrors from the driver's seat.

Why is it reflective like this? I thought this AT Premium was supposed to be non-reflective.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest IsLNdbOi

Yikes I can't edit my post to remove the price. Anyway, is there a way I can tell if they actually use Llumar AT or ATR film? Also, is this reflectivity on the inside facing part of the film normal?

Guest solarspot

Don't worry about the price it will get removed by one of the mods :spit

I don't know a way of telling what film is installed after its on the window. If you work with a film all the time maybe. I have a sample book of the 2 different tints and can tell the diff by feeling it, not by looking at it installed. I have never noticed the windows being more reflective after its been tinted :spit There are way more experienced guys on here than me maybe they will help with this question

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal
:spit I've notice applying film reduces glare, it must be the water between the film and the glass because he did it in a garage and only yesturday. if he showed you the film you should know whats on your windows, also check the warranty card.

Guest IsLNdbOi

I tried calling him last night about it and he wouldn't answer. I tried calling him again this morning and then later on in the afternoon. Still no answer.

I never got a warranty card and he didn't give me a receipt because he said he would have to charge tax or something like that. I insisted on him giving me a receipt but he just kept saying:

Don't worry, if anything happens, just call me and I'll try to fix it.

I'll give him tomorrow to answer my calls. If he still doesn't answer or respond, I'm gonna go to the BBB and see if that can do anything.

I mainly want this guy to do something about the scratches he put on my windows. I can feel them when I run my fingernail lightly over them.

Oh and with this tint he used. Sometimes sunlight coming through looks kinda reddish, but the heat inside the car is greatly reduced and when the sunlight is shinging through the tint onto my arm or something I can barely feel it.

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

a lot of times windows are already scratched and show up better when there is tint on the glass...and without pix we cant really help by seeing if there anywhere that a tinter would cut. no need for the BBB just let the $|-|17 dry...call him about the scratches if you want but what is he going to do about it?

Guest IsLNdbOi

Here are pics.. A saw them cutting at that exact spot when they were cutting the film. They first put the sheet against the side and made quick cuts to get a shape close to that of the area the tint was gonna go. Then they positioned the film after making the first cuts. I can feel my nail dip into it when I drag my nail over it.

Scratch1_pic1.jpg

Scratch1_pic2.jpg

The scratch on the opposite window on the other side of the car, I can't get a good pic. in the dark with this cam. I'll try to get pics. of it tomorrow.

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

by "opposite window on the other side of the car" do you mean the same scratch is on both sides? if so thats kind of suspicous but thats in the middle of the glass...you have to ask yourself,why would he be cutting there?

Guest IsLNdbOi

No it's not the same scratch on both sides. The scratch on the other side is on a different spot. Yes this pictured scratch is in the middle, but like I said, when they started cutting, they simply placed the uncut sheet on the window and cutout the general shape of the window first, cutting in all directions, before cutting it in more detail.

Archived