Attacment System ?

Guest lpearce

Guest lpearce

I recently had the 3M Scotchsheild security tint installed on all of my windows, but it appears that they did not use any Dow Corning 995 to attach the tint to the frame. To me this means the glass will basicly fall out of the frame in one peice. The installer tells me that won't happen and that the Dow Corning 995 is only used for sliding glass doors ? This makes no sense and I'm afraid that I have been ripped off. I have been unable to get ahold of 3M to get conformation of standard install pratices. Is this normal ? Any expertise / advise would be greatly appreaciated.

Lance

Guest vclimber
I recently had the 3M Scotchsheild security tint installed on all of my windows, but it appears that they did not use any Dow Corning 995 to attach the tint to the frame. To me this means the glass will basicly fall out of the frame in one peice. The installer tells me that won't happen and that the Dow Corning 995 is only used for sliding glass doors ? This makes no sense and I'm afraid that I have been ripped off. I have been unable to get ahold of 3M to get conformation of standard install pratices. Is this normal ? Any expertise / advise would be greatly appreaciated.

Lance

It depends on the glass. If it's Tempered glass, then it will fall out rather easily. Annealed glass can fall out but not as easily as Tempered unless it is a small window, then it can be kicked out no problem. Dow 995 IS NOT only used on sliding glasss doors, installer lied.

995 does not come with your security film installation unless it was specified at the time of sale. Typically, a good sales person will point out if you need a frame attachment system and make his recommendation before you buy. Then it is spec'd in writting alone with your film choice and a price. If you don't have it in writing, then they are not going to put it on for you.

Lance

Regarding what are standard install practices - some installations are done with DC 995 and some are done without it. It's not a minor add on - it can add significantly to the total cost of an installation.

Did you have film installed to protect against a break-in or against storm damage?

Guest lpearce

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for storm protection.(cat 3 or cat 4) It was the ultraflex system I was sold on (did not receive much more info..) just a 3m catalog talking about ultraflex. I think they also used only 4mil.. I seem to be paying for my ingnorance..

Lance

Regarding what are standard install practices - some installations are done with DC 995 and some are done without it. It's not a minor add on - it can add significantly to the total cost of an installation.

Did you have film installed to protect against a break-in or against storm damage?

Guest vclimber

So did the salesperson quote you for an attachment system, UltraFlex, 995?

They seem to be pushing a lot of that 3M 4mil. There's a dealer around here that thinks he can get a GSA 3A rating on a daylight application of 3M 4mil. :bat

Ultraflex if I remember correctly is an attachment system using 995

For the level you are requesting for protection, my opinion there needs to be some type of attachment for residential installs. Residential glass is very thin.

Guest VOLTRON

There are other attachment systems other then 995. If astetics are an issue (which in most homes it is) there are some other types of attachment systems that can be installed. There is Gullwing and Pentagon which both look very similar and they are good products form what I hear too.

The Ultraflex System is the Dow Corning 995 attached to the film. If the salesperson told you were getting Ultraflex then you should have gotten both film and the DC 995 attachment

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking for storm protection.(cat 3 or cat 4) It was the ultraflex system I was sold on (did not receive much more info..) just a 3m catalog talking about ultraflex. I think they also used only 4mil.. I seem to be paying for my ingnorance..

Lance

Guest lpearce

I spoke with the vendor and he said basicly the same thing as vclimber. I do not have any windows with tempared glass that I would not need an attachment system because aneiled glass does not seperate from the frame and that my windows are well attached to the frame (part of new building code). I'm trying to get ahold of a 3M rep to confirm this and also validate that my warranty will cover me without an attatchment system.

I'm not sure if I was charged for the DOW Corning(I thought the price was pretty good for the amount of windows I have in my house), but he did offer to run a small bead along the window. He said that it would not do much good. The quote was a hand written price on a 3M ultraflex brochure.

I would think that the tint would transfer the impact to the edge of the glass (1 milimeter between the tint and the frame.. I have not yet measured this for myself) and depending on the force (and size) push the glass right through.. I'm just not sure if a cat 3 or cat 4 storm would produce that kind of force.

Thanks for all the help and info..

Guest VOLTRON

No a small bead wont do much because it is supposed to be a bead that is 3/4 thick. He is right that anealed glass doesnt seperate like tempered does but it still can come out of the frames with a certain amount of force.

Archived