Shifting Roll Down Windows

Guest TintingRookie

Guest TintingRookie

Below is copy of tip of the week that I found on this site (thanks TintDude). Being a rookie to tinting, I want to make sure that I understand this tip completely. Does anyone have a picture of this process to help me out?

Thanks in advance - this place is great!

~ This week's tip is from TintDude ~

Shifting roll down windows:

Shifting roll down windows make it difficult to properly position the film during installation, often leading to gaps in coverage. This can be easily avoided by marking the edges of the glass on the outside with a dry erase marker and using the marks as a guide during installation. Just roll the window all the way up, and make a 1 or 2 inch mark on each side of the rolldown where the felt meets the glass. Often the shifting window will erase one of your marks, or cover it completely, so just align the film using the surviving mark. Happy tinting!

Guest Key West
Below is copy of tip of the week that I found on this site (thanks TintDude). Being a rookie to tinting, I want to make sure that I understand this tip completely. Does anyone have a picture of this process to help me out?

Thanks in advance - this place is great!

~ This week's tip is from TintDude ~

Shifting roll down windows:

Shifting roll down windows make it difficult to properly position the film during installation, often leading to gaps in coverage. This can be easily avoided by marking the edges of the glass on the outside with a dry erase marker and using the marks as a guide during installation. Just roll the window all the way up, and make a 1 or 2 inch mark on each side of the rolldown where the felt meets the glass. Often the shifting window will erase one of your marks, or cover it completely, so just align the film using the surviving mark. Happy tinting!

I cut them a bit different. After I crack the window and make the topcut, I pull the window up and forward( thats where it sits when rolled up) Then I make my side cuts, wider if need be depending on the amount of play in the glass :dunno

Guest Key West
I usually add about 1/4" to the front. When I install the film I make sure the glass is pulled all the way back, install the patter, that way when it shifts forward when you roll it up, there is no daylight at the back while it's moving

Hes right! Belay my last! I meant to say that I pulled up and BACK!! :dunno:lol2

This tip isn't about cutting, it's about aligning the tint during installation on glass that shifts in the frame, the marks on the outside allow you to tell where the film needs to be not to show side gaps when rolled up. :dunno

yeah, but it looks like ass when you are rolling it up and it shifts forward and has a big ass gap on the back. Sure it isn't there all the way up, but it can be there when the glass is part way up.

Uh, yeah, this tip is so that doesn't happen :dunno

Maybe that's why there's this thread, the tip doesn't quite explain in detail what the markings are supposed to be for. I can see where it would work, but on the other hand it sort of insinuates that you just have to cut it to the marks, if you do that, there will be daylight at some point of the window rolling up and down.

Uh, yeah, this tip is so that doesn't happen :dunno

Maybe that's why there's this thread, the tip doesn't quite explain in detail what the markings are supposed to be for. I can see where it would work, but on the other hand it sort of insinuates that you just have to cut it to the marks, if you do that, there will be daylight at some point of the window rolling up and down.

Dude :lol2 read it again, this isn't about cutting, it's about having a mark on the outside so you can tell where the edge should be when it's rolled up, read the thing before you bust my balls. :please

Archived