tinting question

Guest smallblock351w

Guest smallblock351w

IF this has been asked I am sorry but I was having trouble finding it through search. Im going to tint my windows well I have my doors apart installing my new audio system. My dad is going to help me we are not a professional tint shop by any means just a Auto repair shop that mostly does anything. Dont do allot of tint my dads done it maybe 10 times over the years. normaly my dad just does it with the glass in but he was wondering since the doors are gonna be apart should we remove the glass and tint it all the way to the edge of the glass? We where not sure if thats a good idea or bad idea on roll up windows, I was afraid it would hurt the tint to go up inside the gasket. Any suggestions or help would be very appreciated.

Guest MidcoastMW

Nope, you can do that!!! Just overhang it off the edge about 1/8". Card it out GOOD and a lil heat, and let it dry. Then take an exacto knife and "shave" the overhang off. Or you could leave a little less tint overhang and actually "file" the excess tint off with a bastard file.

It takes a few tries but once you get it, it looks awesome!!!!

Guest smallblock351w
Nope, you can do that!!! Just overhang it off the edge about 1/8". Card it out GOOD and a lil heat, and let it dry. Then take an exacto knife and "shave" the overhang off. Or you could leave a little less tint overhang and actually "file" the excess tint off with a bastard file.

It takes a few tries but once you get it, it looks awesome!!!!

IS one way considered better then the other ? ie is it better to remove the glass and go all the way to the edge or to do it with the glass in the vehicle and stop at the gasket edges?

glass in the vehicle and stop at the gasket edges?

A professional tinter will tint to the top and sides with the glass in.

It will look cheeseball if you stop at the gasket. For a rookie, if you are that far along, take out the glass. Tint it, let it dry overnight then shave, file or trim close to the edge. Bake it in the sun for a day and be careful putting it back in. Don't scratch it.

Depending on the vehicle, you may be able to pull out the gasket that goes around the window. If you can do that you don't have to take out the glass.

KEEP IT LEGAL.

Guest smallblock351w

also guess I should have asked this before but forgot, on the rear window I have one of those glass scape vinyl graphics on it. should I still tint the window anyways so it matchs the side windows or is it not needed with the graphic already on there?

Archived