01 firebird roll downs

Guest stanmondz

Guest stanmondz

hello all .these rolldowns are kicking my ass. iv wasted 16ft of tint so far ,and still have plane glass how do I need to do these windows im using sunpro films tint is this film good? I got a 2ft X 100ft roll if I can get this one I have 2 people that want theres done I got the back glass in 3 peices im happy with that. I dont think im anywhere near ready to try it in 1 peice also what is the right way to sqeegie? any and all help would be great thanks stan

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stanmondz

no frame I can get the bottom but the top wont go down flat I get a lot of fingers when I try to shrink em the film deforms this is at the back corner to the curve that shuts aginst the windshield im am tring to wet shrink it should I try outher methods to shrink? will it go with out shrink?do I need to trim all excess befor I heat it? help stan

Guest Key West
no frame I can get the bottom but the top wont go down flat I get a lot of fingers when I try to shrink em the film deforms this is at the back corner to the curve that shuts aginst the windshield im am tring to wet shrink it should I try outher methods to shrink? will it go with out shrink?do I need to trim all excess befor I heat it? help stan

You Gotta get your fingers running up and down. There is a "grain" to film that runs from factory edge to factory edge. Try and shrink side to side, and you'll shrink a crease right in it. You can tell right away by the way it reacts to heat. Get squiggley lines, you're good, get a straight line, Yer screwed!. Always shrink with the grain. However, those windows generally dont need to be shrunk. In fact, I don't think I've ever had to shrink a Camaro side window. Check your squegee technique. I generally try and "tack" The top edge, then I work from the center to the corners. Hope this helps :)

Sorry, you did say Firebird. But they are generally the same as Camaros. (except after-market glass)

Being a polyester, film will stretch. I have seen people squegee fingers into flat glass! :) . The key here is to get the top edge where you want it, then work from the center outward to the 4 corners :)

Guest solarspot

You Gotta get your fingers running up and down. There is a "grain" to film that runs from factory edge to factory edge. Try and shrink side to side, and you'll shrink a crease right in it. You can tell right away by the way it reacts to heat. Get squiggley lines, you're good, get a straight line, Yer screwed!. Always shrink with the grain. However, those windows generally dont need to be shrunk. In fact, I don't think I've ever had to shrink a Camaro side window. Check your squegee technique. I generally try and "tack" The top edge, then I work from the center to the corners. Hope this helps :)

Sorry, you did say Firebird. But they are generally the same as Camaros. (except after-market glass)

Being a polyester, film will stretch. I have seen people squegee fingers into flat glass! :) . The key here is to get the top edge where you want it, then work from the center outward to the 4 corners :)

:bat You said it way better than I could have :)

Guest stanmondz

thanks ill work on it some more tomorrow could you please expline the right way to squeege I have no clue whats right or wrong and what is "tack"? tint is a whole new world to me so most of the lingo I dont understand give me a engine transmission or rear axle and I know what im doing tint is like chinese to me

thanks stan

Guest Key West
thanks ill work on it some more tomorrow could you please expline the right way to squeege I have no clue whats right or wrong and what is "tack"? tint is a whole new world to me so most of the lingo I dont understand give me a engine transmission or rear axle and I know what im doing tint is like chinese to me

thanks stan

That being the case, stick with your engines and transmissions. Let a pro tint your car. No amount of reading is gonna develop tint skills. Most of us have developed our skills over years, hands on. Would you try to help a person with no mechanical knowledge rebuild an engine by posting and communicating on a forum? :):)

Guest solarspot

thanks stan

That being the case, stick with your engines and transmissions. Let a pro tint your car. No amount of reading is gonna develop tint skills. Most of us have developed our skills over years, hands on. Would you try to help a person with no mechanical knowledge rebuild an engine by posting and communicating on a forum? :):)

I agree its hard enough to learn when you can watch a pro do it. Most of the skills you need are gonna come with LOTS of practice and film in the trash. If you really want to learn get ready to invest alot of time and money. As you have found already its not very easy and your on a frameless window. Just keep at it and ask a question here and there because we can't teach from the ground up on a forum.

Good luck and keep pluggin :)

Archived