llumar precision cut

Guest RCOOTE

there's a lot of negativity towards "tinting software"

I'm not going to use the term computer cut because there is an actual software package called computer cut, and I wouldn't want anyone to think my comments are directed towards that one in particular.

accent doesn't post a lot, and it takes him forever to type, so he must have felt strongly regarding the subject in order for him to say what he did.

if you're just starting out, you don't really NEED it.

a tint customer mainly checks for three things:

1) did they damage my car

2) is there a lot of dirt specks

3) what do the edges look like?

a tinting software package will help with #1 (customer perceived more than actual fact) and #3 (this comes with an asterisk).

Not having to worry so much about #1 & #3 will help you focus your skills on getting a clean installation (#2).

Now for the asterisk.

Old school tinters like to talk about pattern fit in tinting software packages. The fact is, for someone who has never tinted before, obviously a tinting software package will look better than them hand cutting a pattern.

The other fact is, for 90% of tint customers the patterns fit well enough(not specific shop clientele, mind you, but 90% of tint customers in general -- so no "my customers expect..." comments, please). The tint customer that is concerned with how the edges look is mainly concerned with the size of the micro-edge and the SMOOTHNESS of the cut top edge. Is it wavy, jumpy, etc? Software tint templates might not always be consistently micro-edged, but they're certainly not wiggly.

I have used several different packages. Although I don't have PrecisionCut in my own shop, YET, I would if it was out when I was shopping for a system. I cut vinyl, and I aslo have a software package and use my plotter for tint. Llumar's software Precision Cut has excellent looking/fitting templates. Better than the templates I have.

In a nutshell, I have the wrong plotter for PrecisionCut.

If you are seriously considering this route, DO NOT OUTSOURCE YOUR PLOTTER. Many will tell you "it's just a vinyl cutter" so you might think you'll be able to get it cheaper elsewhere. What you save in plotter cost, you will lose in wasted time and material as you wade through settings.

Being an Engineer, you know your way around a software package, and you probably know your way around a pen plotter. You may be tempted to figure it out on your own, as I was. Your distributor has access to far more information than you do. Make use of that.

Hey there damnit, go easy on my typing skills...... I have posses skills on a computer that are second to none!! I can find P**n faster than ANYONE!!!! SEE YA MOMMA

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not going to use the term computer cut because there is an actual software package called computer cut, and I wouldn't want anyone to think my comments are directed towards that one in particular.

accent doesn't post a lot, and it takes him forever to type, so he must have felt strongly regarding the subject in order for him to say what he did.

a tinting software package will help with #1 (customer perceived more than actual fact) and #3 (this comes with an asterisk).

Not having to worry so much about #1 & #3 will help you focus your skills on getting a clean installation (#2).

Now for the asterisk.

Old school tinters like to talk about pattern fit in tinting software packages. The fact is, for someone who has never tinted before, obviously a tinting software package will look better than them hand cutting a pattern.

The other fact is, for 90% of tint customers the patterns fit well enough(not specific shop clientele, mind you, but 90% of tint customers in general -- so no "my customers expect..." comments, please). The tint customer that is concerned with how the edges look is mainly concerned with the size of the micro-edge and the SMOOTHNESS of the cut top edge. Is it wavy, jumpy, etc? Software tint templates might not always be consistently micro-edged, but they're certainly not wiggly.

I have used several different packages. Although I don't have PrecisionCut in my own shop, YET, I would if it was out when I was shopping for a system. I cut vinyl, and I aslo have a software package and use my plotter for tint. Llumar's software Precision Cut has excellent looking/fitting templates. Better than the templates I have.

If you are seriously considering this route, DO NOT OUTSOURCE YOUR PLOTTER. Many will tell you "it's just a vinyl cutter" so you might think you'll be able to get it cheaper elsewhere. What you save in plotter cost, you will lose in wasted time and material as you wade through settings.

Being an Engineer, you know your way around a software package, and you probably know your way around a pen plotter. You may be tempted to figure it out on your own, as I was. Your distributor has access to far more information than you do. Make use of that.

Hey there damnit, go easy on my typing skills...... I have posses skills on a computer that are second to none!! I can find P**n faster than ANYONE!!!! SEE YA MOMMA

:bingo:lol6:lol6:lol2:lol2

Now for the asterisk.

Thank you for your time in your reply :lol6

At first thought I was thinking I could prolly use any plotter. But I just finished reading about how the plotter they supply is made with window film and saftey film plus PPF in mind. AND you get TECH SUPPORT and free service when you get the entire package which comes with a computer, software and plotter.

I def. do not need a computer but I guess having a computer just for the business only with no INTERNET will be better in the long run.

Thanx for all the replies.. especially to accent if he only replies to good topics and it takes him a long time to type :bingo

It may be a year before I get the system, but if everything works better than planned it could be 6 months. I just like knowing as much as I can before jumping in..

THANK YOU

Richard

You will need internet for the weekly updats on patterns. That did it damnit I am going to take a typing course at vo-tech.......... after hunting season!!!!!!

Now for the asterisk.

Thank you for your time in your reply :poke

At first thought I was thinking I could prolly use any plotter. But I just finished reading about how the plotter they supply is made with window film and saftey film plus PPF in mind. AND you get TECH SUPPORT and free service when you get the entire package which comes with a computer, software and plotter.

I def. do not need a computer but I guess having a computer just for the business only with no INTERNET will be better in the long run.

Thanx for all the replies.. especially to accent if he only replies to good topics and it takes him a long time to type :poke

It may be a year before I get the system, but if everything works better than planned it could be 6 months. I just like knowing as much as I can before jumping in..

THANK YOU

Richard

You will need internet for the weekly updats on patterns. That did it damnit I am going to take a typing course at vo-tech.......... after hunting season!!!!!!

Good to know.. Thank you :lol2:lol2

I like having my cut system, but your taking the right steps in learning how to tint first.

just remember that there is a learning curve to tint, its not as easy to pick up as vinyl, or even ppf but it is well worth the effort IMO.

dont get discouraged, and dont isolate your self to just one brand, or way, or one attitude, keep an open mind and dont be affraid to explore.

Guest tintcraftersca

Started about 3 yrs ago not serious, when finally committed to doing this as a viable business, I woulnt change the learning curve. Dont have a cutter yet ... would like one eventually, but you cant replace the experience of hand cutting and I've seen great tinters who can turn 4-5 cars a day who care about the quality and customer. If I hadn't learned the old school way I wouldn't have learned as much as quickly. Good Luck

llumar precision cut, what do you think of it for window film? I want to get into the PPF soon but am going to start with window film. Is it good, worth it or waste of time??????

Thanx

I have been using the precision cut actually since a few months before they launched their program. They jumped into it running and have not looked back !! There have been a few pattern issues and some issues may still arise but I ASSURE you they are VERY FAST to correct the situation. They value our/my input alot. When you purchase their package for the year, it comes with ppf and graphics.

now if you only do a few cars a week then I would say that is alot of jack to lay out. I do about 3 to 4 cars a day. Alot of guys on here will nock the computer cut gig. I tint for a living, not an ego. Do not get me wrong I can and still do some cars handcut that they may not have the patterns for (mostly old stuff) . I think that you must learn to hand cut first then move to the plotter as you get busier. But the less time I spend working the the less of a chance a deer has a chance of living another day this time of year!!!!

Its an employee thats never late, never bitches or complains about the drama with his chic. never throws an attitude. I could not live without mine thats for sure. I applaud all the old schoolers for sticking to there guns for doing it old school way but I think this is the future. I have been able to raise my prices since switching and have some customers that drive up to 2 hrs to get "computer cut film technology" It is a wonderful selling point and people want it.

this has all been my opinion, and I am sure I will be ripped a new one for my opinion on some stuff, but I have been using it and love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im confused do you use computercut or precisoncut or tintek2020 :bingo

I have used both computercut and tintek and they both have the same problems with pattern fit. Once you get used to a cutter you can tint faster but it takes awhile (I never thought I would say that).

Could I jump in here and ask how you guys manage to set up your plotter to cut window film. I do a little bit of sign work as well as my window tints, have an old roland camm 1 24 inch plotter, tried to cut a piece of film, Suntek HP, tore it to shreds.

Any advice appreciated

Uncle Bob

Archived