Windshield Strips

Guest a1wintinter

Guest a1wintinter

Ok some of you may not like this tip and some of you may already know this one.

I hate doing strips and I really hate cutting them on outside of the windshield.

What I do is I have a sixty inch roll of 5% film on a film handler for strips only, pull down 7-8 inches (depending on the size of the strip you need) and cut it of the handler so both top and bottom of film are straight edges, film should be now 60"x8" or so, clean the inside of the windshield. With the mirror removed(depending on vehicle) peel the liner off the film and go right inside the car with it, set the film so both top side corners of the glass are covered with same amount of film, then push the water out with a squeegee and cut aruond the mirror bracket. If top sides of the windshield are even the film will be even. If one side of the film is higher than the other side the strip will be crooked. It might sound like a pain the azz but its very easy to do and no measuring is needed, once you get used to it it should take 2-3 minutes to do almost any strip. Any window thats need shrinking is easy also, just move fingers to the side and shrink them horizontal on the inside. Super easy to do but Im not good at explaining things. I hope some of you give this a try and tell me what you think, it takes a little getting used to but its real time saver. :lol6

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate doing strips and I really hate cutting them on outside of the windshield.

What I do is I have a sixty inch roll of 5% film on a film handler for strips only, pull down 7-8 inches (depending on the size of the strip you need) and cut it of the handler so both top and bottom of film are straight edges, film should be now 60"x8" or so, clean the inside of the windshield. With the mirror removed(depending on vehicle) peel the liner off the film and go right inside the car with it, set the film so both top side corners of the glass are covered with same amount of film, then push the water out with a squeegee and cut aruond the mirror bracket. If top sides of the windshield are even the film will be even. If one side of the film is higher than the other side the strip will be crooked. It might sound like a pain the azz but its very easy to do and no measuring is needed, once you get used to it it should take 2-3 minutes to do almost any strip. Any window thats need shrinking is easy also, just move fingers to the side and shrink them horizontal on the inside. Super easy to do but Im not good at explaining things. I hope some of you give this a try and tell me what you think, it takes a little getting used to but its real time saver. :poke

I just do the whole window :poke

1st question would be "how many windshields do you find that is anywhere near straight across the top?"

I personally cut all strips to match the contour of the windshield and think that a reverse smile that you get with the factory staight edge looks cheap and lacks any professional flare. I have only had 3 customers in 8 years that insisted on the straight edge instead of the curved once I explained why I prefer the curve.....

whatever works.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

What I do is I have a sixty inch roll of 5% film on a film handler for strips only, pull down 7-8 inches (depending on the size of the strip you need) and cut it of the handler so both top and bottom of film are straight edges, film should be now 60"x8" or so, clean the inside of the windshield. With the mirror removed(depending on vehicle) peel the liner off the film and go right inside the car with it, set the film so both top side corners of the glass are covered with same amount of film, then push the water out with a squeegee and cut aruond the mirror bracket. If top sides of the windshield are even the film will be even. If one side of the film is higher than the other side the strip will be crooked. It might sound like a pain the azz but its very easy to do and no measuring is needed, once you get used to it it should take 2-3 minutes to do almost any strip. Any window thats need shrinking is easy also, just move fingers to the side and shrink them horizontal on the inside. Super easy to do but Im not good at explaining things. I hope some of you give this a try and tell me what you think, it takes a little getting used to but its real time saver. :lol2

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR DAYUM MIND!!!?? :lol2

:lol2 daaayyyummm 1peece

don't hold back

...tell 'em how you really feel :lol2

I would have headliner fuzz all in my shizz :lol2

Me too!

There'd be fuzz all over that shizz mang.

I measure down both sides and mark it with a grease pencil.

I use the factory edge at the bottom and trim around the molding.

Then shrink and trim the ceramic edge around the top and cut out the mirror piece with my tint doctor tool.

Then install.

Sounds like a lot, but I get tip top results and............ no trash in the strip. :lol2

Did I mention, I hate those thangs, I call 'em bro brows........ :lol2

Guest haroldshouseoftint

What I do is I have a sixty inch roll of 5% film on a film handler for strips only, pull down 7-8 inches (depending on the size of the strip you need) and cut it of the handler so both top and bottom of film are straight edges, film should be now 60"x8" or so, clean the inside of the windshield. With the mirror removed(depending on vehicle) peel the liner off the film and go right inside the car with it, set the film so both top side corners of the glass are covered with same amount of film, then push the water out with a squeegee and cut aruond the mirror bracket. If top sides of the windshield are even the film will be even. If one side of the film is higher than the other side the strip will be crooked. It might sound like a pain the azz but its very easy to do and no measuring is needed, once you get used to it it should take 2-3 minutes to do almost any strip. Any window thats need shrinking is easy also, just move fingers to the side and shrink them horizontal on the inside. Super easy to do but Im not good at explaining things. I hope some of you give this a try and tell me what you think, it takes a little getting used to but its real time saver. :lol

I just do the whole window :bingo

Ditto

Archived