Busted glass

It was pretty clear nothing had hit it. I talked to a couple of glass guys who mentioned spontaneous shattering as something that happens every once in a while..........but two days after tinting. Seems like a pretty big coincidence.

It was pretty clear nothing had hit it. I talked to a couple of glass guys who mentioned spontaneous shattering as something that happens every once in a while..........but two days after tinting. Seems like a pretty big coincidence.

Possible, but still, it's not like you broke his glass, it's just one of the downsides of modifying anything beyond factory specifications. There are always unknown variables that can pop up, and while they are unfortunate, it's one of the chances the owner of the vehicle chose to take, whether he knew it or not. It's like the guys who's cars blow up after they supercharge or turbocharge it. Sure it's can be done, and sure it can be done safely, but you are doing something that the vehicle didn't have in it's design parameters, therefore unknown side effects may occur. I would apologize for the unfortunate event, explain that it it is extremely unlikely that something like that would happen because of the tint, not impossible, just very unlikely and maybe offer to re-tint it for free as a kind gesture after he get's it replaced. The worst he can do is get pissed, but he has to prove that you or the tint caused the breakage, and I think there are a few million other cars out there with tint that do not have broken back windows.

I have now learned the customer had just turned on their rear defrost before their glass broke. Anyone ever heard that?

Yeah, not sure of the cause, but I do think it's actually a rear defogger, not a rear defroster, I do believe it's a common misconception. If there is frost on the backglass, that means the glass is frozen, putting on the defogger will make the inside hot and the outside is still frozen, and I do believe that would be the cause. Glass doesn't like to be hot on one part and frozen on the other. Kinda like pouring hot water in a forzen glass, a lot of times it will break

I have now learned the customer had just turned on their rear defrost before their glass broke. Anyone ever heard that?

where do u need your rear defrost this time of year?

Archived