Looking to open my own shop...any suggestions?

Guest Stratusrtrida

Guest Stratusrtrida

Hey guys...it's been awhile since I have posted here. I just wanted to get some opinions from people who were once in my position? well first of all let me fill you in a little about my situation...

Im 26 yrs old, I live at home with my parents and live for free ( yea I know..but im not a loser im just saving and they like having me around still...haha) anyways. I lost my job about 8 months ago, my unemployment just ran out and im having a hard time finding a normal job. Not that im really looking that hard because I do ok on my own. Right now im running my business out of my house. ( I mostly do decals, truck lettering, and auto detailing.) I have very little experience in tint but I would someday like to be a pro like you guys and add that in as a service to my business as well. (or hire someone with experience...I know thats hard to find but maybe I can find someone?) I have about $8000 saved and I think I want to finally take the leap and open up my shop. I own all my sign equipment and pretty much have all my bills paid. Im realizing that now is the time to do this. Do you think I have enough money to jump into my business? What are some of the things I should look out for? and how do you go about picking the right location? In my area a 3000sq ft garage is like $3000 a month to rent. I think thats jumping in a little over my head? Like im sure you all were at one point im scared. I just don't want to lose all my money and walk away with a bruised ego. Ideally I would like a nice garage with a small storefront to sell impulse items as well. any help would be great...thanks, Nick

Guest MidcoastMW

imo 3000 sq ft. is a little big for what your doing. 1000 would be plenty!!

I've been tinting regularly now for just over a year. ....Im not the best, but I do take my time and ensure the customer is getting what they pay for. My shop is only 1000sq ft, and it does just fine for tint. However I do work a seperate full time job now. Tint on nights and weekends. I will continue doing things this way untill I have people lined up at my shop....then its time to go full time. :lol2 The way things have been going, maybe another 1-2 years! :lol2

I say start out SMALL, and offer signs/graffix/lettering. Try to sell tint when you see customers with an easy car, or maybe some easier truck roll-ups. Try to get in touch with a local tinter to help you with the harder jobs.....learn, and start doing it on ur own. You HAVE to take chances in the business world. I say do it. Get out of your parents garage and work to create your own 'security' thru hardwork and dedication.

Hey guys...it's been awhile since I have posted here. I just wanted to get some opinions from people who were once in my position? well first of all let me fill you in a little about my situation...

Im 26 yrs old, I live at home with my parents and live for free ( yea I know..but im not a loser im just saving and they like having me around still...haha) anyways. I lost my job about 8 months ago, my unemployment just ran out and im having a hard time finding a normal job. Not that im really looking that hard because I do ok on my own. Right now im running my business out of my house. ( I mostly do decals, truck lettering, and auto detailing.) I have very little experience in tint but I would someday like to be a pro like you guys and add that in as a service to my business as well. (or hire someone with experience...I know thats hard to find but maybe I can find someone?) I have about $8000 saved and I think I want to finally take the leap and open up my shop. I own all my sign equipment and pretty much have all my bills paid. Im realizing that now is the time to do this. Do you think I have enough money to jump into my business? What are some of the things I should look out for? and how do you go about picking the right location? In my area a 3000sq ft garage is like $3000 a month to rent. I think thats jumping in a little over my head? Like im sure you all were at one point im scared. I just don't want to lose all my money and walk away with a bruised ego. Ideally I would like a nice garage with a small storefront to sell impulse items as well. any help would be great...thanks, Nick

I don't think that is enough bank for the slow season in a start-up

it could work though :lol2

best of luck to ya'

Guest Stratusrtrida

well im not really going to be directing business towards tint...just sign stuff and auto detailing...do you think those two services are enough to keep me in business?

IMO, stay small as long as you can.

The less overhead, the better........

I started with way less than you are talking about and tried as hard as I could to get more.

Be careful what you wish for..........you just might get it......and all the headaches that come along with it.

Mortgage Payments, Taxes, Insurance, Workers comp., Utilities, Advertising, Over Scheduling, Your phone ringing every 2 minutes......... Your city or county deciding "what you need to do", to comply with their made up rules and regulations....................................It is not for the meak. Be prepared and have a rock solid business plan.

Be prepaired for the worst and then you will be prepaired to run a business.

It's NOT all cake and ice cream and taking off when you want......Your business will run you, if you're not prepaired!!!!!! :lol2:lol2

Guest Stratusrtrida

I started with way less than you are talking about and tried as hard as I could to get more.

Be careful what you wish for..........you just might get it......and all the headaches that come along with it.

Mortgage Payments, Taxes, Insurance, Workers comp., Utilities, Advertising, Over Scheduling, Your phone ringing every 2 minutes......... Your city or county deciding "what you need to do", to comply with their made up rules and regulations....................................It is not for the meak. Be prepared and have a rock solid business plan.

It's NOT all cake and ice cream and taking off when you want......Your business will run you, if you're not prepaired!!!!!! :bingo:lol

I am def business oriented, I have been doing stuff on the side dealing with people since I was 14 jumping in the pond at a local golf course getting 1000's of golf balls, cleaning them, and having my dad drop me off at the course with my box of balls selling them 2 for a $1 on saturday mornings...haha. from there I went into other stuff but I LOVE doing business with people. Right now my business consists of internet sales via Ebay and auto forums. Then the occasonal cusomer locally. I know working hands on isn;t something to be taken lightly. I just cannot see myself in the corperate world. I think the main thing here is that I love doing it. If I can get up and go to work everyday doing something I love then I think it might just be worth all the headaches that come with it. Im not looking to make millions over night. Im looking to open a shop that will put food on the table for me and possibly be able to afford my own house eventually. I guess my biggest fear is opening up for business and pulling my pud all day because no one comes into my shop. But, I guess some people will come in right?

It's NOT all cake and ice cream and taking off when you want......Your business will run you, if you're not prepaired!!!!!! :blah:lol

I am def business oriented, I have been doing stuff on the side dealing with people since I was 14 jumping in the pond at a local golf course getting 1000's of golf balls, cleaning them, and having my dad drop me off at the course with my box of balls selling them 2 for a $1 on saturday mornings...haha. from there I went into other stuff but I LOVE doing business with people. Right now my business consists of internet sales via Ebay and auto forums. Then the occasonal cusomer locally. I know working hands on isn;t something to be taken lightly. I just cannot see myself in the corperate world. I think the main thing here is that I love doing it. If I can get up and go to work everyday doing something I love then I think it might just be worth all the headaches that come with it. Im not looking to make millions over night. Im looking to open a shop that will put food on the table for me and possibly be able to afford my own house eventually. I guess my biggest fear is opening up for business and pulling my pud all day because no one comes into my shop. But, I guess some people will come in right?

All I can say is..........Good Luck Mang and May the Force be with You........ :blah

Education............Business Plan..... Bank..... Loan.......Hope for the Best.....Plan for the Worst.....

:bingo

You'll see.......................... :blah

Good Luck!!!

Archived