Removing Stubborn Tint

Got a replacement back glass for my car from a wrecking yard, car was in another state so no way to see this first.

The back glass was installed, I got the car, and the window has existing tint on it.

96 t-bird, 6 straight overlapped strips.

It was cheap single ply dyed film that is now beyond purple.

I have tried heat and steam, both are taking forever. The film is so brittle you cannot peel anymore than an inch at a time.

I have NEVER had one this stubborn !

What is the quickest way to remove it, and no, breaking the back window and having the insurance replace it is not an option !

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal
:duck wow that sucks bizalls mang. You shoulda took it off before putting it in <<thats what I said last night!! anyway does that old skool glass have defroster lines? if not blade the FIZuck out of that thing, other than that try a citrus cleaner and darkdans suggested "baggin". the steamer should have worked the best for you :lol2 have fun

If it's bubbling and delaminating.....have a good time!

Did you try bagging it yet? Spraying windex all over it and covering it with a bag and letting it sit in the sun?

wise advise ^^^

Blackout, I said the car was in another state, (I am in Dallas and the car was in Phoenix at the time)

Had no way of knowing that crap was on there until I got out there to pick up the car, and yes, it does have the defroster lines, UGH!

Will try the bag Wed and see if it does any good. If not, I'm in for many long nights gettin this stuff off !

Guest haroldshouseoftint

Hey, I live out here in Phoenix, and have delt with a few too many of those, if you have some crap film lying around, tint the window let it sit for about 45 minutes or so and go out and pull it off it will pull alot of the old film off you have to do it a couple of times but easier than steaming and or sweating. :beer:beer

I have actually bagged a rear window with scap tint. spayed it with degreaser and put pieces together like a puzzle with the liner still on. put it in the sun and it pulled right off.

I've had stuff that didn't want to let go before. I basically pulled all the film off, then bagged the glue, peeled back the plastic a little bit and cleaned the glue off, pulled the plastic back a bit more.

If I pulled off the whole thing then it would dry out and not come off again!

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

I doubt your in for many nights of stripping tint, before noon today I stripped and retinted a toyota and also finished tinting a BMW X5. this stuff was bubbled like hell and purple..also failed lamination so bad it looked like it was tinted using frosted glass. one word -- steamer like my last post on here then use a citrus cleaner and a white scotchbrite for the glue. if your having so much trouble just take it to a shop and pay to have it stripped and retinted like everyone else. I know its a lot more of a pain taking off the stuff than what I charge for a strip job.

ps- I like beavis' idea too but if your going to buy film to put on and still have to strip it yourself then just go to a shop and make them do it :bingo

Archived