Removing Stubborn Tint

Guest haroldshouseoftint
I doubt your in for many nights of stripping tint, before noon today I stripped and retinted a toyota and also finished tinting a BMW X5. this stuff was bubbled like hell and purple..also failed lamination so bad it looked like it was tinted using frosted glass. one word -- steamer like my last post on here then use a citrus cleaner and a white scotchbrite for the glue. if your having so much trouble just take it to a shop and pay to have it stripped and retinted like everyone else. I know its a lot more of a pain taking off the stuff than what I charge for a strip job.

ps- I like beavis' idea too but if your going to buy film to put on and still have to strip it yourself then just go to a shop and make them do it :lol2

I had to go back up and look, it says in his profile 12 years, I gave that advice thinking it was a nube :bingo but again what do I know

Normally it comes off pretty well with the steamer, but this was crap film to start with and it has been on the window for 10 yrs, at least it isn't bubbling.

And for the folks who say to pay to get it done, none of us would ever get better at this without doing it, so I am going to do it myself.

I steer away from strip or strip and retint.

Thanks to all who have replied !

I'm trying to find a thread I started a while back to link here on how you can combine "bagging" with burning off old tint to remove the WORST of jobs with ease and no layer separation or tiny peices and I'll be darned if I can find it :bingo

1 Pull car to be stripped into cool shop area

2 Cut the bottom and one side out of large black plastic garbage bag

3 Lay prepared garbage bag on outside of rear glass to cut and fit to back glass

4 Then lay garbage bag opened out over rear carpeted deck of the inside of the car

5 Spray mixture of 1/4 ammonia to 3/4 water solution on film to be removed still attached somewhat to glass.

6 Lift garbage back onto now saturated back glass and smooth out and tuck around all edges

7 Pull car out into direct sunlight on rear glass.

8 Walk away and let the sun heat up back glass and steap film

9 Check 10-15 minutes later the top edge of film and see if it is releasing yet.

10 If you are lucky the film, bag and all will come off in one large piece or a few large pieces.

11 If only one layer of film comes off, dont panic, repeat steps 5 and 6, then 8 and 9 and the rest should come off

12 Then you can pull the car back inside once all the film has been removed to work on any adhesive that may be left on back glass

13 You can use the same ammonia solution to clean the adhesive with a white scrubby, or you can use rubbing alcohol, simple pink or simple green.

14 Always take care to wipe cleaners off any side panels.

15 Scrub, wipe with paper towels, squeegie, clean, squeegie .......etc. whatever it takes to assure that you have removed all traces of adhesive so as to insure a nice clean application of new film.

What did I forget Mr. P?

Oh Yeh! Some times a combination of ammonia then alcohol or simple green then alcohol or some other combination of any of the cleaners mentioned will usually cut right through that nast adhesive.

For me..........Simple Pink works the best. Melts the adhesive right off the glass and I wipe it off with paper towels to keep it from going all down into the metal tray where the speakers are and sometimes wiring components to keep from damaging anything. :poop

I'd still like to try simple pink but I don't think they sell it in Canada ..can't find it :poop

I made my own little brand of remover ..but it's a little harsh to work with :)

Your film distributor doesnt carry it I guess? Well.......I get mine from Enpro. Been using it for years. Simple green is way too harsh on my hands so I quit using it myself.

Simple Pink is the b*mb! :poop

Archived