I'd hate to be the tinter involved

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
Being a professional tinter, can't you have some sort of verbage on a receipt that states, "I know the tinting laws for my state and am aware that (Tint Shop's Name) will not be liable for any accidents/tickets, due to illegally tinted windows."

The reason I ask this is that everyone I know gets their cars illegally tinted, most end up taking it off after a few tickets, but what I'm concerned about (and yes USA is a sue-happy country) is what this article is saying...tint *may* have caused this person to not see a pedestrian and either the family of the victim, the city/state, or the driver of the vehicle would try to sue the tinter.

Does anyone make their customer's sign a document stating that they made that person aware of the current tint laws in their area?

No, you cannot have that verbage in there and not be held liable. The only legal way I have found to put "Less than legal" Film on a car is to have the car brought to your shop on a flat bed/ tow truck. Without tags, and have the customer sign a "Show Car waiver" stating that the vehicle will not be operated on public roadways. And when they come to get it, it leaves on a flatbed/ tow truck, without tags!

The newer tint laws vary from state to state, but most have a "law enforcement" exemption built in. Which I believe is BS, who's to say that LEO ( Law Enforcement Officer, not you leo'n'Dartz!! :mad )can drive better tha me? Or his eyesight is better than mine? :mad:mad:mad

TD and I are pretty much on the same page here. (Civil Rights erosion) I don't think that any legislative body has a right to tell me what I can or cannot put on my car to protect my investment, or privacy, Both constitutionally guaranteed rights. What they DO have the power to legislate is the bubbled up distorted film that is impossible for anyone to see out of. THAT is a visual hazzard. They can regulate that. But how can a legislative body decide what YOU as an individual can see thru? Whats next, outlawing sunglasses? Or boating in navigable waterways? :drevi See my other post in the Foo Bar... Driving, a right not a privelege :lol6:dunno

I was told by the company I'm going to be supplied for film.

"although we encourage all of our dealers to comply with the locals laws, we know that that doesn't often happen. So as a guide, please make a firm statement that any film on the windshield or drivers and passengers door windows with less than 35% film is understood for show use only. Please comply with your local laws"

I may have worded it a little different but it was basically like that. I'm in ONTARIO, CANADA, and it sais for the laws VAGUE for those windows.. :dunno:mad:mad

Guest TintingRookie

Interesting stuff here. I just want to make sure that I, as well as all of you here, keep ourselves safe from getting roped into a lawsuit from installing 'illegal' tint.

What about DARK LICENSE PLATE COVERS???

Same thing.. you can buy them at walmart for $15.00, you put them on your car and you get a fine. Same with HEADLIGHT COVERS, you can buy them for $30.00 but put them on your car you get a fine, get in an accident at night, and your automatically to blame becasue they couldn't see you...

IT'S REALLY UP TO THE OWNER AND OPERATOR OF THE VEHICLE TO COMPLY WITH THE LAW.

When it is TOO dark is when it is most dangerous.

Years ago, a daughter of my parents friends moved to Chicago from Dallas, and I was asked if I wanted to make some $$ and drive her car up there.

During the day wasn't bad, but at night, headlights from 18 wheelers were just specks of light, and that was when they were right behind me.

The side windows were just as bad.

Could not see the side view mirrors.

Had to put the windows down to change lanes so I could see.

When I dropped it off to her, I asked what % tint she had on there.

"2 layers of 5% because I don't want anyone to see in."

MORON !

Archived