Residential Myths ?

A homeshow talkshow host here in Dallas has stated the follwing, are they myths or true ?

1) Installing any film on residential glass voids the warranty.

2) Installing film will burst the seals.

3) Once film is installed on glass, it will never come off.

I would like to contact him if he is wrong, and educate him, but not being knowlegable, I would like to know what I am talking about first.

Guest haroldshouseoftint
A homeshow talkshow host here in Dallas has stated the follwing, are they myths or true ?

I would like to contact him if he is wrong, and educate him, but not being knowlegable, I would like to know what I am talking about first.

1. It voids the man. warranty of the glass

A: If using a reputable film Man. they will cover the glass and seal breakage

2. If you use film safe for dual pane windows which every man. has dual pane safe films that is FALSE!!

3. If you tint cars, and have removed film from cars why can't you remove it from a house?? It is still just glass!!!

:thumb:thumb

Guest samo2000

1. It voids the man. warranty of the glass

A: If using a reputable film Man. they will cover the glass and seal breakage

2. If you use film safe for dual pane windows which every man. has dual pane safe films that is FALSE!!

3. If you tint cars, and have removed film from cars why can't you remove it from a house?? It is still just glass!!!

:thumb:lol2

typical film /glass ins. are in sync with glass manufactures warranties - however most applications are after the experation of glass warranties therefore " no film / glass warranty is avialable - unless it is purchased . I just did 2 one million homes less than 5 yrs old and they both had seal failure -guess what ? no glass insurance for ya'll. :thumb

Guest vclimber

1) True, alot of things can void glass warranties like installing blinds within 2" of the glass on many windows.

2) Seals fail and will eventually fail with no film on at all. So can you say film makes the seals fail when they naturally do so on their own? A good thing to do when you have a filmed window with seal failure is to check all of the other windows that have film on them. If they are not failing then one has to wonder if it is really the film that is the cause. :thumb

3) The film may never come off completely. Depending on the adheasive you may see bubbling which is adheasive failure. The dry adheasives that are on the market have no record of coming off on their own or bubbling when installed properly that I am aware of.

When will class be starting? :thumb

Guest Tintin' Magician

1) True, alot of things can void glass warranties like installing blinds within 2" of the glass on many windows.

2) Seals fail and will eventually fail with no film on at all. So can you say film makes the seals fail when they naturally do so on their own? A good thing to do when you have a filmed window with seal failure is to check all of the other windows that have film on them. If they are not failing then one has to wonder if it is really the film that is the cause. :bingo

3) The film may never come off completely. Depending on the adheasive you may see bubbling which is adheasive failure. The dry adheasives that are on the market have no record of coming off on their own or bubbling when installed properly that I am aware of.

When will class be starting? :dunno

Climber speaks the gospel, it will void the warranty just like any other aftermarket addition on anything, it will not cause seal failure if the heat absorbance is low enough (50% I believe), and I know I've removed ALOT of film in my time (mostly 3M :sand ) and it always comes off.

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

you say (well said, I know this post is way old) this was at a home show, was the guy saying this selling window coverings or blinds, something to that effect? :poke anyway there all false, the new film warranty will cover the glass so no prob. the seals will burst if you put the wrong film on the wrong glass and of course the film will come off, whether it peels right off of a warm sunny window or is scrapped off inch by inch with a razorblade it will come off. this guy must have been sellin somethin...and it wasnt window film :)

Actually, this was on WBAP 820 AM in Dallas.

David Yates is the host and he was saying this stuff.

It is on Sat early afternoon if memory serves, but a visit to WBAP website should give correct time he is on.

Wonder if anyone here in Dallas would want to call in and set the record straight with him ?

Guest goldtooth
Actually, this was on WBAP 820 AM in Dallas.

David Yates is the host and he was saying this stuff.

It is on Sat early afternoon if memory serves, but a visit to WBAP website should give correct time he is on.

Wonder if anyone here in Dallas would want to call in and set the record straight with him ?

:olfa:olfa who is this guy, :beer:beer shows how much he knows about this industry.if film can go on it can come of :beer:beer

Archived