tinted my alarm clock

Guest iceman7329

I have one of those blue LED alarm clocks and its to bright so I tinted it. I used 4 layers of 35%. Its be fine for about 2 months and now the LEDs are burning out. The clock is only about 2 1/2 months old. Could this be related to the tint getting the clock to hot maybe??

:beer that's funny !! However, LED's don't get that hot, (especially blue) did you get the clock wet when you tinted the thing?

I didnt figure they would get hot at all. I never got it wet, just wiped it off first with a damp rage.

If you didn't get any moisture in there, it's probably just defective...I'd remove the film and return it...... I just find it funny that someone would tint their alarm clock.... :shock:krazy

It was just to bright, I have to have it near pitch black to be able to sleep. Ive even got 3 layers of 2.5% on my bedroom windows. :beer

Thats that Axius 2.5% from Wally World top of the line limo papers mang! :hmmm

Guest iceman7329

I have one of those blue LED alarm clocks and its to bright so I tinted it. I used 4 layers of 35%. Its be fine for about 2 months and now the LEDs are burning out. The clock is only about 2 1/2 months old. Could this be related to the tint getting the clock to hot maybe??

:beer that's funny !! However, LED's don't get that hot, (especially blue) did you get the clock wet when you tinted the thing?

I didnt figure they would get hot at all. I never got it wet, just wiped it off first with a damp rage.

If you didn't get any moisture in there, it's probably just defective...I'd remove the film and return it...... I just find it funny that someone would tint their alarm clock.... :shock:krazy

It was just to bright, I have to have it near pitch black to be able to sleep. Ive even got 3 layers of 2.5% on my bedroom windows. :beer

Thats that Axius 2.5% from Wally World top of the line limo papers mang! :hmmm

It is, I did it back when I was learning

Guest CajunTinter
LED's go generate heat, and they will fail prematurely if they get too hot. I'm betting your film caused it to retain enough heat to do just that.

With all due respect Jimmies, I have been a licensed technician over 20 years and you are dead wrong on your LED theory. LED's don't even generate enough heat to warrant a heat sink, this is why they draw such little current and insatalled as stand alone components on pc boards..... there is no way that window film caused this problem unless the ambient temp in the room had risen to over 250F, which I seriously doubt..... I would say that moisture got into the unit one way or another and caused this problem.

LED's go generate heat, and they will fail prematurely if they get too hot. I'm betting your film caused it to retain enough heat to do just that.

With all due respect Jimmies, I have been a licensed technician over 20 years and you are dead wrong on your LED theory. LED's don't even generate enough heat to warrant a heat sink, this is why they draw such little current and insatalled as stand alone components on pc boards..... there is no way that window film caused this problem unless the ambient temp in the room had risen to over 250F, which I seriously doubt..... I would say that moisture got into the unit one way or another and caused this problem.

Cajun is probably right .....moisture is the likely cause....however it could be that there is some light sensing circuit in the clock that keeps the LEDs shining a constant level. If that is true then when you tinted the clock the circuit began to over compensate for this and kept the increased power to the LEDs all the time which would in turn make them fail before their normal lifespan. Usually LED's work well for years not months.

Archived