Opinions on "acceptable" imperfections please

Guest TintedAudi

Guest TintedAudi

hello - I've been reading various posts on this site and have pretty much come to realize that (1) you get what you pay for and (2) good/reputable tint shops will do what it takes to make you happy.

I just tinted a new Audi A4 sedan w/ 40% llumar greystone. it was tinted at a shop w/ a good reputation and where I got our Lexus GS430 tinted last year.

the GS turned out great, but the back and one rear window was redone b/c of several bubbles that wouldnt go away and small pcs of lint under the film that were trapped, leaving little worm like squiggles that were very visible.

on the audi the same thing has happened, but this time there are more of them, and the little quarter windows are very bubbly. the front driver glass also has a large scratch like bubble on the very bottom. the passenger window has one large bubble, prob about 3mm wide. also, the film goes right up to the edge of the window rolled down, except for in the top left where the corner is rounded lower and doesn't get up to the window's edge. is that normal?

my question is - should I ask them to re-do all the ones I'm not satisfied with? this would be 5 of 7 pcs... I feel bad and am wondering if you just think I'm being too picky. I guess I had a good experience the first time around and expected the same level of work on my Audi, but this time I suppose I wasn't as lucky.

please note- neither of these were "cheap" tint jobs or shops. highly reputable and their motto is to strive for perfection for the pickiest of customers. I would guess they are in the top 10% in terms of price.

thanks for your feedback. one last question - when is too soon to ask to get it redone?? looking at it has been bugging me, and I've tinted enough cars in the past to know that these imperfections won't get better w/ sunlight/heat/time...

sorry for the long post and so many questions. any help/advice is appreciated!! :lol6

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Key West
If you don't feel you got what you paid for, then go adress the shop, and get it fixed. We can't tell you what you want to hear. :beer

But when you go back to that shop, remember that there is NOTHING made by human hands tha is perfect!! That includes your car!! There is an acceptable amount of contamination to be expected. Glass was made to be looked through, not looked at :beer With enough close scrutiny, the best job in the world can be picked apart. :lol6

Guest haroldshouseoftint

squiggles shouldn't be in tint jobs, the sooner the better to get it redone is always best just go and take it to them and show it to them. :lol6:beer but then again what do I know

Guest tintman AZ

The rest I would have to see. BUT "the film goes right up to the edge of the window rolled down, except for in the top left where the corner is rounded lower and doesn't get up to the window's edge. is that normal?" seems a bit picky to me.

Guest TintedAudi
well , it sounds like you got what you paid for :bat

LLuLLu doesnt make a film called Greystone :bingo Strike one

Johnson , however markets film under the Greystone moniker. Strike two

If history is any indicator ,,,, Strike three

sorry, you are right. I checked my sales slip and it is JOhnson, not Llumar. I don't know why I thought it was Llumar. :dunno

in any case, I see your points - I know no job is supposed to be perfect, hence why I am asking the pros what they consider "acceptable" or close to a "high quality job". I am just a consumer so I can't really say, even though I've had 4 cars tinted in the past. each one has had it's fair share of flaws that are fine, but I am picky, yes, which is why I chose this tint shop b/c their motto literally is to satisfy the pickiest of consumers!!

in any case, I just feel bad seeing as though I would be complaining about 5 or 6 of 7 total pcs, whereas last year I only had 2 pcs replaced (there were still imperfections in the other 5, just not as bad). so I just came onto this forum to see if you all think I'm being overly critical. of course I can live w/ the flaws, it's not like it impairs the car in any way, it's just a little cheesy to have multiple squiggles and bubbles visible when you are looking at the window. I dont' think you can see any of the flaws from 10 ft away.

maybe what I will do is pick 2 or 3 of the worst ones and have them redo those - does that sound fair?

BTW - how soon would you consider it ok to redo the work?

Archived