Notice of Acceptance

Guest efranco

Guest tallscott

Are you trying to meet a code for new construction? If so, film ain't gonna get it. I had some big builders want to use film so they didn't have to do the PLy wood deal to get a CO. 1/2" Ply wood meets Dade. I could't find a film to get by with!! Go figure If you leave a 3" hole in the glass it fails!!. So what do they do? Of course, shoot a 2X4 at it! I would be loaded if film passed!! Guess the window manf. worked with Dade county more then IWFA to set standards!! Dade is a requirement for NEW construction to meet code! If someone lives there its retrofit and its cool!!

Guest efranco

I had read somewhere at if you have a GC working for you and your business is Licensed and insured that you can go to the Dade-County office and get NOA application for your business. I know that FTI has a NOA but, FTI has never been the same after 2 of the 3 head guys quit. Their film has become downgraded in quality.

I had read somewhere at if you have a GC working for you and your business is Licensed and insured that you can go to the Dade-County office and get NOA application for your business. I know that FTI has a NOA but, FTI has never been the same after 2 of the 3 head guys quit. Their film has become downgraded in quality.

ouch :lol6

Guest Tintin' Magician

I don't think you can get a NOA for your business, I'm pretty sure that's for products only. You may be able to get a NOA for a certain product that doesn't have one if you meet all of the standards and have the $.

I don't think you can get a NOA for your business, I'm pretty sure that's for products only. You may be able to get a NOA for a certain product that doesn't have one if you meet all of the standards and have the $.

I unerstand the NOA's to be for a whole glazing system, I.e. frame, glass, latches (hardware), and not for a business. Retrofit products are tough / very hard to get NOA's on as you would have to test too many varibles, may too much $$$. You would have to test Andersen wood, vinyl, aluminum frames, and so on for each window manufacture.

One of the film companies has passed the large missile with a product they sell to the window OEM market. It places a very thick film on the #2 & #3 (inside) surfaces of an IGU prior to constructing the window.

Most film manufactures can meet the small missile requirements with 8 mil products now (used to be able to meet with 4 mil, but they increased the velocity of the steel balls) and a very basic anchoring system. The anchoring system is required to get passed the cycling portion of the test.

Hope this helps.

Well Ace said there's was bullet proof, I think its because they manufacture thier own film and make it better then science will allow.

Technically, the term is bullet-resistant and I have personally done a ballistics test with a security company here in SoCal where we took 1/2" annealed glass and the "ACE" 14mil security film (who knows who really manufactures it and personally, I don't really care, as long as it works) and let them shoot it with a .40cal 158gr Hydrashock hollow-tip round. We actually did two tests, the first test we let the 14mil cure for about 2 weeks because we were in a rush to get the demo going but we got inconsistent results. Some spots in the glass held the .40, .357, and 9mm rounds, and a few did not. We re-did the test after letting it fully cure out and it performed very well. I have uploaded the beginning of our test to YouTube for your viewing pleasure. This stuff is capable of stopping bullets but its not bulletproof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_r0hImi56o

(I just uploaded it so it will take a little bit to finalize the upload so be patient)

BTW, the "ACE" film has claimed it passed the following Miami-Dade standard:

Hurricane Resistance

Metro Dade County Test Protocol ?

TAS 201-94, TAS 202-94, TAS 203-94

ASTM 1886, ASTM 1996

Does it really? Who knows? I don't live in Miami so I don't really care either :gasp

Archived