Fingers keep popping up!

Guest TintingRookie

The fingers do go away when heated from the outside and pushed down, but seem to come back up a few hours later. The film is a dyed film, not the greatest quality.

No, I didn't wet shrink it either. I dry shrunk it (baby powder) and cut to size - this is most likely where I failed.

I'd hate to do a R&R because this back glass came out great - besides these 2 little fingers at the bottom!

what type of vehicle is it or did I miss that :bingo

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definately next time after dry shrinking lift film and wet underside then get a smoothie squeggie and flatten film to the glass and then shrink any remaining fingers. When you think they are all shrunk out push on the film and try to make a finger pop up and shrink it too and be sure to do this all the way around the back glass. Don't know if you'll be able to salvage the one on their now or not being it's been 2 days...

ok..if you are will to try this give this a shot if you dont want to redo it

WARNING...THIS IS RISKY AND SHOULD NOT BE TRIED IF YOU DONT COMFORTABLE IN DOING IT....AND ME OR THIS SITE IS NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR WHAT MAY OCCUR AS A RESULT OF DOING THIS!!

try heating up the glass with a heat gun for about 8 seconds where the finger is...and with you on the inside pushing down the finger..and holding it..have someone stray the outside with a little water..keep holding the finger down with your hard card for a few minutes.

like I said..DONT TRY THIS IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE IN DOING IT...I have done this many times without any breakage...THIS IS JUST AN OPTION

try pushing the fingers down. stuff some paper towels down at the bottom. if they stay down. heat it up from the outside for abot 10 seconds or until hot and let it sit for awhile. pull towels out.

Guest TintingRookie

I will try it. Where is the risk of breaking the glass at? Is it when you spray the cooler water on the hot glass that it has a chance of cracking? If so, why should water be sprayed on the outside - what's the purpose of that step?

Guest TintingRookie
try pushing the fingers down. stuff some paper towels down at the bottom. if they stay down. heat it up from the outside for abot 10 seconds or until hot and let it sit for awhile. pull towels out.

I will try this, thanks!

Guest haroldshouseoftint

where on the bottom of glass are fingers? 95 Deville with a Landau or Baritz top you should have some play area on the inside, I used to work for a Cadillac dealer out here in AZ you should have room on inside to hit the fingers w/ a heat gun, just wet (damp) towels and lay on rear deck so you don't burn the deck.

Guest TintingRookie

The fingers are at the very bottom of the back glass, towards the drivers side. About 4 inches from the side of the glass. I don't want to burn his rear deck, so the wet rags is a great idea. Do you think there's still water under these fingers? Or, is it dry as a bone?

The fingers are at the very bottom of the back glass, towards the drivers side. About 4 inches from the side of the glass. I don't want to burn his rear deck, so the wet rags is a great idea. Do you think there's still water under these fingers? Or, is it dry as a bone?

more than likely dry, but it might soften the glue so it will stick.

Archived