Flat Film vs Automotive ?

Since I have never done flat glass, who can help me out here ?

What are the differences between flat glass film and Automotive film ?

I know you don't want to put Automotive on flat glass.

With exterior flat glass film, what keeps the elements from making

it start to peel ?

Also, Exterior Film does or does not make Residential Windows prone to seal failure ?

You never stop learning !

Guest darkdan

it start to peel ?

Nothing. LOL. Caulk'em.

The differences, mainly absorption. Sometimes adhesive.

Exterior film and seals, depends on a lot of things. Just like interior films and seals. All seals will eventually fail with or without film.

Since I have never done flat glass, who can help me out here ?

What are the differences between flat glass film and Automotive film ?

I know you don't want to put Automotive on flat glass.

it start to peel ?

Also, Exterior Film does or does not make Residential Windows prone to seal failure ?

You never stop learning !

Automotive products are generally a lot less reflective than flat glass films. Even the High Performance auto films use a very light metal to keep the reflection (VLR) down. They usually absorb too much heat & energy, and that's why they are not recomended for flat installations. Also, the auot products are PS, where the flat glass will usually be some type of "dry to the touch" adhesive.

Most exterior products contain weatherable polyester or coatings (Scratch for example) facing out. The elements will still break them down, it just takes a little longer then regualr polyester (which will go south in a hurry). Chaulking the edges, as suggested, is a good pratice to help hold it down.

As for breaking glass, or seal failure, the exterior products will refelct the heat and energy prior to getting into the IG Unit, so they may even be better then interior applied films. I agree, it depends on a lot of things, VLT of product, VLR, Absorption, etc. of the chosen product.

Guest vclimber

There are a lot of flat glass films the are less reflective than most of the metalized auotomotive films.

Kynar is a material that is used for some exterior films. It holds up very well on the exterior when caulked. I just did a bid for replacing 400ft of Kynar exterior film that I orginally did back in 1991. It still looks good except for the spiderweb scratches which is due to the lack of an SR coating.

Archived