No Fingers After Shrinking

Guest darkdan

After I get done I spray a little water under the film on the bottom and top edge. Then I force up three fingers. One in the middle, one on either side along the top and bottom and heat them out.

This seems to help A LOT.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest VaTinterPMan

Its kinda like a wet check without the water. If there is a small finger that comes back up hit it with a lil heat now and not later and banging your head going why the hell wont this small finger go down. only a extra min of time. Ive been doing the sam thing.

I have been tinting for over 18 years. I have used darn near every brand and style of film out there. I have a feeling what you are seeing here is a difference in film. Most of you that are not burning edges are using a dyed or carbon style film that shrinks fast and easy without burning. You will find if you used a high end full 100% metal film that is slow shrinking and doesn't shrink as much, when it comes to a car that needs alot os shrinking, then the edges will curl or burn. It isn't a matter of being better than the other guy but maybe the other guy using a better film that is harder to work with. Just my 2 cents.

I have used sungard Endurance which is 100% metal and I didn't burn the edges on any car that I did.....I use the ATR Lulu film now and have used the sungard Slate with the same effect.....

yeah if you try to shrink the film more than it will go then you are going to tear it up....but if you took the film that far just how long is it going to last anyway??

I have burned some edges, but usually when I get adjusted to a change in film, I can eliminate that from happening, except by accident. I usually cut the pattern 1/2" bigger than the final cut to allow for 'accidents'.

I have been re-heating the edges after the final cut on nearly every car, because it does suck having to deal with small problems once it's on the inside of the glass.

I don't ever think I will change brands again. Every different film has a learning curve when it comes to shrinking and shrinkability. I have only changed brands twice in my 17 years of tinting, but I am totally sick of spending more time and energy, on a back glass that was totally simple three months ago.

Archived