No Fingers After Shrinking

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you do this with bugs and eclipses and still get a one piece install. :blowtorch

actually, yeah, on those I do leave it big, so if I crease it I can move it up or down, but on most, just about all, I cut to fit, shrink, slap it on, ...... done (every once and a while I'll get a small side finger, let it sit outside with the heater on for about 15 minutes, push it out)

just my thoughts but if your burning corners then your burning corners, you just need more practice and to improve your style a bit... I used to burn corners alot when I wet shrunk but sence using dryer sheets the window has to be pretty messed up for me to burn a corner. but I also computer cut my film and leeve some extra liner around the top and bottem.

exelent tip tho to save someone time if this is happening... thats what I used to do and your right no fingers after lay....

or you could just buy patterns from me precut 49.95 lmao just had to throw that in there

Guest FilmBlazer
After I get done shrinking, I shrink it some more.

I was trained to rough cut shrink and burn the edges, then cut to size. Somehow I got away from burning the edges after I was done shrinking. I'll give it a try and see if I notice a difference :thumb

Guest Key West
It works dude ....try it.

dont tell anyone................. :thumb

:thumb

He's right. In fact even when it LOOKS like it's down, run yer heat gun along the top and bottom. You'd be amazed at the fingers that pop up!! Thats my final test, by running the heat gun slowly across the top and bottom. If nothing pops up, it's done.

my question would be "WHY are you burning the edge of the film??" I only have an issue with burning if the car is a stratus or something like that and I don't even get that much melt.....

the film should not be melting on the edge like that.....

All film melts. Metalized film melts/curls worse than dyed/carbon films. It happens to everyone.

I don't know why y'all leave it big, just cut the window TO FIT, shrink it, put it on, .......done, no fingers

You gotta be either full of it, or the luckiest white boy alive!!!

After I get done I spray a little water under the film on the bottom and top edge. Then I force up three fingers. One in the middle, one on either side along the top and bottom and heat them out.

This seems to help A LOT.

:lol2:lol2

I have been tinting for over 18 years. I have used darn near every brand and style of film out there. I have a feeling what you are seeing here is a difference in film. Most of you that are not burning edges are using a dyed or carbon style film that shrinks fast and easy without burning. You will find if you used a high end full 100% metal film that is slow shrinking and doesn't shrink as much, when it comes to a car that needs alot os shrinking, then the edges will curl or burn. It isn't a matter of being better than the other guy but maybe the other guy using a better film that is harder to work with. Just my 2 cents.

:thumb:beer:thumb:beer

Guest irishhanks2
my ? is why don't you rough cut the film so theres no film lying on the trunk or top ot the car.

I was thinking it ,but wasn't going to say it but since you brought it up :thumb

Guest irishhanks2
just my thoughts but if your burning corners then your burning corners, you just need more practice and to improve your style a bit... I used to burn corners alot when I wet shrunk but sence using dryer sheets the window has to be pretty messed up for me to burn a corner. but I also computer cut my film and leeve some extra liner around the top and bottem.

exelent tip tho to save someone time if this is happening... thats what I used to do and your right no fingers after lay....

or you could just buy patterns from me precut 49.95 lmao just had to throw that in there

whaaa man drier sheets will kill you and they suck, I use a soapy rag of ivory bar soap is cheaper safer and to me it works a lot better just my :thumb

Archived